How long will it take to heal, what can I do to speed up the process, best creams to use and when to start this? (Photo)

I had been having IPL treatments on new stretch marks on my legs to help remove the purple/red color. After 3 treatments they were doing great and went back for a fourth however I was burned. I have been icing the burns constantly and applying burn cream and hydrocortisone cream, keeping them covered, staying out of the sun, etc. is there anything else I can do to help speed up their healing process and pigmentation? I would really appreciate any advise!

Wound care after IPL

Thank you for your question IHearWhos. IPL works well to treat redness associated with scars. If the settings are incorrect, a wound can form. This can be evident if the wound matches the shape of the IPL handpiece. For wound care I recommend to my patients to apply an occlusive moisturizer such as Vaseline or Aquaphor several times a day. It goes on best when the skin is best. This speeds up the recovery. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is sometimes seen in this area and can be treated with skin brighteners, IPL treatments (at appropriate settings), and fractional lasers. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

IPL burn and improvement

I find that fractional lasers like fraxel and skinfinity with microneedling/prp do very well to help this area.  We also add sculptra to improve the collagen formation along with skin care.  Burns should be treated with growth factors and lightening creams to prevent pigmentation.  Best, Dr. Emer.