15 year old implants that have shifted and possibly a leak. Can an explant and lift be done at same time?

I have implants (under muscle) that I am looking to remove. Can a lift be done at the same time.? I was a36A and went to 36C. 

Breast implant removal with breast lift

Yes, a breast lift can be performed simultaneously. You are welcome to visit my before and after gallery to see what can be achieved using The Horndeski Method lift with no implants and minimal scars. Attached is an example of a lift without implants and without the vertical component of most standard lifts. I hope this helps. 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Explantation and Breast Lift

Hi jdbarnwell79,

Yes, your old implants can be removed. Oftentimes if they are old silicone implants and leaking, the shell that the body creates around the implant, the capsule, should also be removed. Of course you need enough native breast tissue so that a lift can restore breast shape and size, otherwise a new implant might be needed. A well trained plastic surgeon will know immediately.

Good Luck!

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Explantation, lift, capsuletomy

Typically all the procedures are done at once.  Make sure your surgeon removes the old capsules as well so that the circulation will be better after the surgery and so that no pockets are left behind.  This makes any subsequent surgeries easier.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast lift with simultaneous explant? Yes!

Yes, it is possible to have a lift at the same time as your breast implant removal. There are a few caveats:

If your implant has ruptured, or has a significant amount of capsule around it that needs to be excised, then the additional surgery required to remove the affected breast tissue may make a simultaneous lift too risky.

If you are a smoker, or have other significant risk factors, you may want to perform a 2-stage procedure.

As with all cases, look for a board-eligible or board-certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience with breast surgery. Be sure to review their work. Make sure you are comfortable with your choice of surgeon. And be sure to have your surgery at a certified center with all required patient safety equipment.

Breast Implant Removal and Breast Lift

Yes it is generally possible to remove your breast implants and to undergo a breast lift.  The exception would be if you have no remaining overlying breast tissue.   Ideally you will seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has some experience in breast reconstruction.  

Carlin Vickery, MD

Lift-explant

A lift at the same time as an explant is done commonly. You need to get a preoperative evaluation to see if you have enough tissue so that you can have enough fullness in your breasts post surgery.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Can an explant and lift be done at same time?

Yes that can be done, but I personally discourage patients from that combination and suggest they waiat at least 6 weeks after the explant surgery. Breast tissue that have been stretched over an implant change dramatically in the 6 weeks after implant removal and in my experience 50% of patients find they neither need nor want a lift after that time. And even if they need a lift it is impossible for the surgeon to know ahead of time how much the tissues will contract on their own and so it is difficult to make an exact determination on how much to lift. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Can an explant and lift be done at the same time?

Dear allows,

An explant and a mastopexy or lift can be done at the same time, but every patient is very different. A patient with a smaller implant and significant amount of remaining breast tissue with a lower set nipple is the best candidate for what you describe. A patient with a large implant and very little breast tissue will likely not get a good result, and replacement with a much smaller implant and lift may be a better choice. Fat transfer may also be a, option to regain a small amount of volume when the implants are removed.

Your body has likely changed significantly in the last 15 years, and your memory of what you looked like before your augmentation is likely not an accurate representation of what you have now. For patients with saline implants (implant card or op report necessary) I will often deflate their implants in the office a month or more before their surgery so they have a better idea of what they are starting with. It allows us both to create a plan that we feel will deliver the most acceptable results.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

In my experience, that combination has never presented an issue, but pictures or an exam would be useful.