I'm 5'10, 130 and pretty slim. Is 450 cc's to big for me? (photo)

Hello, I am currently trying to figure out sizing. When I had my consult the doctor said that with my frame, up to 450 cc's would be doable. I tried on with the surgical bra beginning at 375 and kept increasing by 25 cc's. I like the 450's the best. I told a friend, who has had two augs, the most recent a revision after going too big the first time. She couldn't believe I was considering 450's and thinks they would look way too big and I'd be upset. Any advice? I'm 5'10, 130 and pretty slim.

Are 450 cc breast implants too big for a slim 5 foot 10 inch woman

If your plastic surgeon did biometric measurements and calculated your implant size from your base width then you may well be a good candidate for 450 cc breast implants.  It can also be helpful to have a breast implant sizing system evaluation during which implants of various sizes are placed into a non-padded bra to give you an idea of how you will look with 450 cc implants.  For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Choosing implants

You are the one who has to live with the implants you choose, not your friend. If your surgeon measured you and 450cc implant has the appropriate width for you and you like the projection of the implant gives you, you should be happy with that size. At 5'10", you can carry off a implant that size. Best of luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Will my implants be too big?

The most important measurement is the width of your breast, or base diameter. This allows your surgeon to judge the largest implant size that will fit your breast and chest. Given your stature, I don't think 450cc would be too large but it depends on your current breast size and what you are wanting to look like in the end. Your surgeon should be able to give you a realistic idea. Focus on what you want to look like in clothes and not what size the bra will read. Good luck!

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant sizes need to be addressed in person

Thanks for your question. I agree that with your frame you might be able to have a larger implant than a smaller person. The most important measurement however is the base diameter of your breast- not your height. The implant must fit on your chest. If you choose an implant that is too wide it will spill out into your armpit. The characteristics of your breast tissue are also important to determine how much stretch there will be. If you have not had children or breast fed, I think a 450CC would be tight in the pocket and would have a higher incidence of malposition and asymmetry. Just because something is "doable" doesn't mean it is ideal. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Whats The Best Size for You ?

You are the one to decide what size looks best on you.  Sometimes "trying on" the sizers with various tops can help you determine what effect the implant will have on your figure, it's balance, and proportion.  Being 5'10" with a relatively long waist will also allow you to pick a larger size implant.

You need your doctor's input on what size implant your body can hold without your breast looking too stretched or artificially round.  This depends on many tissue factors, including your skin's elasticity, breast tissue density, and other factors.  The assessment can only be done in person by an experienced surgeon.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast implant choice

In addition to making measurements and using dozers which can be useful I prefer a 3D imaging system to give you the opportunity to view what you could look like at different sizes. This is a complimentary service I provide for breast augmentation patients. If you have more questions feel free to contact my office. 

450 mL implants are not too large.

450 mL implants are not too large provided you want to be fairly busty. The profile of the implant would be Dependent upon the dimensions of your chest.

Yes...based on the info you have provided.

Your 5'10, 130. Your doctor, who has examined you, feels they "would be doable". It would appear that your body can handle the size...but the question you have to decide for your self is what size do YOU want. Your friend was not happy with her large size...but you are not your friend. I would spend time with your surgeons nurses and go in for a refitting. If you like your selected size, then you should be happy. Many plastic surgeons would back me up in saying that there are more people who have undergone breast augmentation that regret not going larger as compared to the ones who regret going too large. In the end, choose the look you like...your body should be able to hold the 450's just fine.

Implant size to achieve your goals

Thank you for your question and posting a photo.  There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX