11 days out from upper Blepharoplasty, & my lower eyelid now sags against my lash line, is this concerning or normal? (Photos)

On my right eye, my lower eyelid sags against my lash line, pushing the lashes downwards. This just occurred during my recovery today; I'm 11 days out from surgery. Is this sagging a normal step in recovery that will correct itself, or should I be concerned? Two photos are attached.

S/P blepharoplasty

The lid crease fixation and incision placement are important technical aspects of blepharoplasty. Followup with your surgeon and express your concerns about the skin sagging against the eyelashes. If this does not resolve as the swelling subsides, revision can improve the lash position and appearance. If your surgeon seems baffled or inattentive to your concerns, get a second opinion. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. Your experience is not concerning because it is a natural step during recovery. Icing the area will help to keep the swelling to stay down and can help to speed up the recovery process. Eyelid surgery does have a quick recovery horizon allowing you to see a smoother and more youthful area around your eyelids. Please continue to keep your board certified facial plastic surgeon updated with your recovery results. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal for my eyelashes to sag after eyelid plastic surgery?

It can be due to swelling that is pushing the lashes down since you are only a week and a half from your surgery. Though there can be some changes to the muscle attachments to the lid and lashes that can affect the lash position as well. Discuss this with your surgeon and if it does not resolve consider seeing and eyelid specialist.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is absolutely not normal.

You exhibit upper eyelid margin lash ptosis.  This is due to an early disinsertion of the levator aponeurosis, the tendon of the upper eyelid muscle that opens the upper eyelid. This tendon is commonly injured during upper eyelid surgery.  This tendon helps support the upper eyelid lashes.  As the upper eyelid heals, the support for the upper eyelid lashes does not recover.  Also the upper eyelid can further sag and the upper eyelid can look more hollow as a consequence of this.  Generally it is ideal to let the eyelid heal for a full 6 months before revising the upper eyelid.  It is improbable that your surgeon is able to correct this.  It is a specialized repair.

Eyelid swelling

At 11 days post op, you still have a significant amount of swelling. 2 months post op is a better time to start evaluating your results. I encourage you to voice your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

11 days after upper lid surgery

Absolutely normal. You will have residual swelling for many weeks and gravity pulls it down towards the lashes.  You look like you are healing well. Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon