Breast Hypertrophic Scar Management

2014 had a breast augmentation. FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS I have had PAINFUL hypertrophic scars surgically removed 3x, tried topical Kenalog, PAINFUL massaging, Kenalog with needling (Vampire Facelift needling?), Silicone Strips, Steri-strips, FLUOCINONIDE 0.05% GEL, CLINDAMYCIN HCL 300 MG CAPSULE, EXPENSIVE CORDRAN 4 MCG Tape, and NOTHING has worked. Next the doctor suggests Tatoo Needling or removing the tissue again but cutting a wave pattern vs. straight line to take off the tension. HELP!!

Doctor Answers 3

Hypertrophic scars following a breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
HI snoopdawg,
  We have had some success with the Profractional laser and some topicals applied at the time of the treatment. You might ask your surgeon if he/she has some information about this in your area.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

What to do when you're thrown everything at it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When plan A doesn't work, do not repeat it... so avoid scar excision revision at all costs unless something new was going to be added to the procedure.  If you haven't had steroid injections into the scar itself, that is something you can do.  Otherwise I'm not sure I would recommend anything else except time and the hope it will help with the symptoms.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Hypertrophic scars - what now?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your breast hypertrophic scars.
  • I am so sorry this happened to you - 
  • First, do not have any more surgery - it will thicken again and a hypertrophic "W" will look much worse.
  • You need direct injections of 5-FU, Kenalog for 5-FU + Kenalog into the scar.
  • Topical treatments are usually not effective for established hypertrophic scars.
  • I would expect most plastic surgeons to at least know to inject the Kenalog, not apply it topically.
  • If your plastic surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you need to see one for further treatment of your scar. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.