Breast Hypertrophic Scar Management
Doctor Answers 3
Hypertrophic scars following a breast reduction
We have had some success with the Profractional laser and some topicals applied at the time of the treatment. You might ask your surgeon if he/she has some information about this in your area.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers
What to do when you're thrown everything at it?
Hypertrophic scars - what now?
- I am so sorry this happened to you -
- First, do not have any more surgery - it will thicken again and a hypertrophic "W" will look much worse.
- You need direct injections of 5-FU, Kenalog for 5-FU + Kenalog into the scar.
- Topical treatments are usually not effective for established hypertrophic scars.
- I would expect most plastic surgeons to at least know to inject the Kenalog, not apply it topically.
- If your plastic surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you need to see one for further treatment of your scar.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.