I had an areola reduction and BA. How can I know if the areola was cut too much?

before my procedure i used to have some pores in the areola, but now i noticed that the doctor just cut them, is that bad?

Cutting the areolas

Hello,  thank you for your question. Somsetimes it's necessary to cut the areolas all around to make them smaller.  The measure of the areolas that is esthetically accepted is 38-40 mm.  I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Those are Montgomery glands, and it is OK if your doctor removed some as he trimmed your areolae. Please discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction

Hello and thank you for your question.  This is a difficult question to answer without a pre or post surgical photo and measurements.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  I wish you good luck.

Most "pores" that are seen on the areola are glands

The areola naturally has numerous glands called "Montgomery glands," and these secrete an oily substance which is meant to lubricate the areola and keep it from drying and cracking, especially during breastfeeding.  Many times these glands are scattered randomly throughout the surface of the areola, including in the peripheral areas.  It is that area that is removed during an areolar reduction, so it would be perfectly appropriate to remove those glands, or "pores," along with the skin containing them if they fell within the area that the surgeon marked for reduction of the areola.  Thus, the answer to your question really lies more in what was left behind as opposed to what was taken away in this case.  If the areolae are a normal size and diameter, normal shape, and symmetrical in both position and size, then I would say that the correct amount of tissue was removed to accomplish the goal, and the glands that went with it are "part of the bargain."  If you have any concerns about something you see on your breasts, it is always best to run it by your own surgeon too, so that you will be sure to get accurate and specific information related to your particular case.  Best of luck.