I have a duck look after one day of Juverderm. Any suggestions?

Hi! I got juvederm on my lips yesterday and i look like a dick right now! I dont know if its because of im swallow and its gonna improve or if im gonna look like this for one year .. Im worried its big in the area of my nose and my upper lip ! Please let me know what can i do .. Here are some pic of before then right after and today . Thanks

Duck lips

Thank you for your question.  This is a fairly typical appearance for the lips when a needle is used for injections.  The needle causes significant inflammation and swelling.  Ice is going to be the best thing you can do to mitigate the swelling.  You may also choose to go with a blunt cannula technique next time that usually does not result in as much swelling.  All the best!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swollen Lips after Juvederm

You're not the first and you will not be the last to have this problem. Up to 2 weeks after injection you can experience swelling and 'duck lips', the mass majority of the swelling should subside within 5 days, also Prednisone will help bring down the inflammation and help if you're feeling pressure from the "over-filled" feeling. After 2-3 weeks if you're still not happy with the results you can either get some very minor touch ups in your lower lip to make it look more pouty vs. duck like because your upper lip is larger, or you can have your doctor inject Hyaluronidase to dissolve the Juvederm.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Duck lips after Juverderm

Thanks for your question and photographs.  Be patient.  Its normal to have swelling this soon after your procedure.  The swelling should begin to subside over the next few days.  Remember that the result looks much more exaggerated to you.

I have a duck look after one day of Juverderm.

Many patients do have swelling for one day to several days following lip injections.  The swelling also depends on what type of filler was used.  I would give it a few days and reevaluate.  Some of the swelling will disappear.  If you are not happy after several days, see your injector and have the filler dissolved.

"Duck Lip" after Filler

It appears that you have significant swelling 1 day after Juvederm to your lips. This is likely accounting for your "duck lip" appearance. It is standard to have swelling of the lips for 3-5 days following filler to this area. Please give it another 5-7 days for the swelling to resolve before you evaluate your filler. I would recommend that you follow up with your injector 2 weeks after your filler if you still have concerns. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Duck lips from Juvederm

The problem is the upper lip is bigger than the lower. It's supposed to be smaller by the golden ratio phi, 1.618. Looks like only the top injected. I don't think it will settle to your satisfaction. Either remove the top filler or add to the bottom. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD