Small bump still shows one week after rhinoplasty. Can this still change with time? (photos)

It has been 10 days since my rhinoplasty. I do notice a nice difference in the bump on my bridge but still see a small one. I am curious if the bump still has a chance to go down with time. Also I will show a pic of my nostrils. My right nostril has a slit at the top. Will this grow back together possibly?

Small bump still shows one week after rhinoplasty. Can this still change with time?

Thank you for your question. At 10 days post op from Rhinoplasty, is still very early in the healing process. The swelling should eventually go down within the next couple of months. It takes up to a year so you can see your final result. If you have any concers discuss it with your surgeon. Good luck.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty postop

You are still very early in the process. I would certainly wait for at least six months to a year to make a final judgment on the result. This is how long it takes for the elements of a rhinoplasty to heal properly, and for the swelling to go down. Certainly looking at your pictures there is some swelling, however this may resolve. I always tell my patients that the skin has to contract. Be patient, and good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Patience with the healing process – the hardest part of rhinoplasty

It still early in your process. It is possible the small bump on your bridge is all swelling – massage and taping may help – discuss with your surgeon.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon