Can I take off my own Rhinoplasty cast if my doctor will not ever get back to me?

I have had terrible luck with getting ahold of my doctor even before my surgery. It has been 6 days so tomorrow should be the day but they are closed the next day which is friday then I have the entire weekend to wait. Should I see if another doctor will remove it? This whole process has been a nightmare. Not the actual surgery or recovery time but the doc and staff being dependable.

Im sorry

So Sorry to hear this.  In this day and age I can't believe you can't reach your surgeon during the acute post-op period.  Do keep trying to reach out.  Worst case you could remove the cast yourself (in a HOT SHOWER with LOTS OF STEAM to make the glue less sticky). BUT i would not recommend that and would recommend your surgeon do it.   All the best. 

Rhinoplasty

I am sorry to hear about your communication issues, it is quite unacceptable. Unfortunately, I would recommend waiting it out until you can get in to see the doctor. If you can’t reach the doctor directly, try calling the office or showing up during office hours to get your splint removed. It isn’t a good idea to remove it yourself especially if you doctor feels it is not ready to be removed. Best of luck in your recovery!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Cast

I am sorry you are having a problem reaching your surgeon.  In the age of cell phones this  is unacceptable .  The vast majority of surgeons have someone taking call for them if they are unavailable.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD