Upper and lower eye lift. (photo)

I am thinking to have a lower and upper eye lift surgery. What age you recommended to have this surgery. ? I am 45yrs old. I currently suffer from dry eyes and glaucoma runs in my family. I currently see an eye doctor every six who the pressure of my eyes. If I am prone to scarring(keloid). What could be done to avoid this? Thank you

No age is too young or too old - Treatment is individualized for each patient

I will start by saying that an in-person consultation would be the best way to fully evaluate your needs. From looking at your photo, I noticed a few details. First, your right brow is slightly higher than your left brow. This may be due to underlying asymmetry with the bony structure of your face, slight ptosis (drooping) of your right upper eyelid, or another factor. It does appear that your right upper eyelid is a little ptotic, and when that occurs, the brow often elevates in order to try to lift the droopy eyelid. I do not see much excess skin in your upper eyelids, so it is difficult to recommend a blepharoplasty procedure based on your photograph. In addition, with a history of dry eyes, you should be aware that eyelid surgery can make dryness worse, and your dry eyes should be very well-controlled prior to undergoing eyelid surgery.
With regards to your lower eyelids, I notice a small bulge in your left lower eyelid. Your right lower eyelid appears normal if not a bit hollow. Instead of surgery, I would think that fillers would be a good option to improve the appearance of the lower eyelids. However, please note that fillers in the lower eyelids are not FDA approved and would be an off-label use.

Good luck! 

Again, the most important thing for you to do would be to get an in-person consultation with a surgeon who is experienced with cosmetic eyelid surgery.

Warren Oculoplastic Surgeon

Candidate for upper and lower eyelift

There is no specific age for when to have the procedure. It depends on if a patient is a good candidate. Based on your photo, it would warrant your time to consult in person with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Upper and lower lids

bevak, there is no magic age. See a specialist that does "only faces". Fat should not in my opinion be removed from the lower eyelid in most patients. Repositioning the SOOF fat to the depression below the lower lid works much better. This is because the SOOF fat used to be right underneath the lower lid and with time migrates lower in the face so by lifting this fat we are simply putting the anatomy of the lower lid back to its youthful position. As the originator of the "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" I have been doing nothing but this approach for over 20 years with excellent results. I normally use a transconjunctival approach but a subciliary approach can also be used if the patient has excessive redundancy of lower lid skin and/or muscle (a significant minority of patients). Good luck and hope this helps your decision. See video!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your eyes

There is no one age to do surgery. When what you see bothers you and a plastic surgeon is willing to try to fix it, that is when it can be done. Your problems are early but can be addressed. Dryness is treated with drops and your ophthalmologist will continue to treat your glaucoma. Having your eyes done will not affect glaucoma. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

4 lid bleph

You don't look too bad.  You have some ptosis of the right upper lid, and a little bit of skin on both sides.  If you do an upper lid surgery, you may have some increased dryness for a while.  So need to know how dry you really are beforehand.You have some fat prolapse in the lower lids.  Some filler would work well to smooth out the contour at this point.  A more permanent solution is a lower lid surgery to reposition the fat.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. The reality is that you have a somewhat complicated situation because of your eye medical history.  Most importantly, dry eyes must be very well controlled before you have any cosmetic eyelid surgery.  From you photos it looks like you have some drooping of the inside corner of your right upper eyelid. This is a problem that is fixed by tightening the muscle that lifts the eyelid.  You do not appear to have any extra skin in your upper lids.  It is a little difficult to completely assess your lower eyelids because the photo is tightly cropped.  However you do appear to have what people would call bags.  Those can be treated with fillers in the office or possibly surgery to remove some of the fat.Realself is a great start to gather information.  However with your history and the appearance of your eyes you would really benefit from a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon with experience in eyelid surgery to find out what options are best for you. 

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery with Dry Eye

Your photo shows ptosis of your right eye and some hollowness and slight bagginess under your eyes. It is important to be very conservative in people with dry eye as surgery can make dry eyes worse. I you certainly would benefit from some dermal fillers and possibly non-surgical treatments such as peels or ultherapy. I recommend that you seek the opinion of an oculoplastic surgeon that has experience in cosmetic eyelid surgery.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift

Thank you for posting your questions and photo.  With dry eyes and a history of glaucoma, eyelid surgery can get a little complicated.  It looks like you have a slight droop to your right upper eyelid (ptosis).  You also have some puffiness underneath the eyes.  The decision to pursue surgery can only be made after having more information about your dry eyes and glaucoma.  Keloids are extremely rare around the eyelids.  I would schedule a consultation with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your case.

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon