Follow-Up Question: 1 week post tummy tuck. I am posting additional pics from previous post as directed from doctors. (photos)

What caused below my belly button to have a bulge and the lines going down from the new belly button? The part that has a bulge is very soft and squishy. I originally had very thin skin around my belly button. This is the same skin in that area. It is not sore at all. Feels almost numb.

Bulge 1 Week Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Tummy tuck bulge

Thanks for your inquiry, if the bulge is soft and squishy it is possibly a seroma or hematoma.  Please see your surgeon to be evaluated.  

Bulge 1-Week Post Tummy Tuck

You may have a seroma or fluid collection or it may just be normal swelling. Impossible to distinguish without an in-person evaluation. I advise you to see your plastic surgeon ASAP. You paid him/her not only to perform the surgery, but to aid you in your recovery. You should direct your questions to him/her as they know precisely what was done during your particular case. Numbness is normal after a tummy tuck. Happy healing!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Follow-Up Question: 1 week post tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures you shared it can be just swelling since its still very early on your healing time, or it can be a collection of fluid which is a seroma that will have to be drained. Contact your surgeons office to express this concerns.Best of luck

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Leave time for healing

You are much too early to worry.  Let healing take place and then we can better assess at 6 months.    At present much of what you see is early healing.

Probably a seroma

Thanks for your question and the photos. It looks like the bulge you are referring to is a fluid collection called a seroma. This is not uncommon and is easily treated with aspiration. Let your surgeon's office know and they will be able to easily treat this. Regarding the line from the belly button, it could be from your compression garment; it's hard to tell. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD