1 week post full tuck and I still have a bulge on my vertical scar. What is this from? (photo)

Bulge on Scar at 1 Week Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

You should still have plenty of time to allow your scar to heal completely, but if you are worried or concerned at all there is no reason to hesitate from calling your surgeon for a visit to have the area examined. Good luck!

Central bulge after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and I am sorry for your concern. The lower abdominal bulging that is present in the photograph could be caused by a number of different issues. This may be due to inadequate tightening of the lower abdominal musculature, fluid retention in the form of a seroma, or simple postoperative swelling. Since you procedure was only one week ago, it may be difficult to assess and I would recommend patience with respect to the final outcome. However you should follow up with your plastic surgeon to determine the cause and possible treatments. Thank you for your question. I hope all goes well.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Bulge

It is difficult to tell from the pic and you would need to post a pic from the front. It may be the angle of the photo and I can't see the vertical scar - and possibly there is a dog ear at the pint of the bulge. I would check this out with your PS as this could represent a collection that may need draining. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Bulge along vertical scar

Thanks for your inquiry, but it is hard to advise from your picture. I suggest you call your doctor to discuss,  it could be a hematoma, seroma, etc.  Good Luck.