What kind of corrective surgery should I look in to, I have uneven breasts (one has an implant)

My breasts have been uneven since puberty. When I was 15, I had an implant placed in my left breast and had my right breast lifted. Three years later, I am still bothered by the size difference but also by the difference in feel and nipple/areola size of my breasts. I am much happier with the size of my smaller (fake) breast. What type of procedure(s) should I consider to have perkier, more symmetrical breasts? I am open to getting an implant on my right side as well.

Asymmetric breasts can be corrected with implants, a reduction, or a lift

It's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you first, but I frequently correct asymmetric breasts with a lift, reduction on one side, or implants on one or both sides.  The surgery is commonly done on an outpatient basis with minimal downtime and recovery.  

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Possible Corrective Surgery - Making the Best Choices

It's important to know what size bra you currently wear. Is it a 32, 34, 36 bra, and, of course, the cup size. The strap size is important to know because that affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the breast implant that we choose. We also need to know your height, your weight, and it's helpful to know your dress size as well.

In addition, it would be very helpful if you include photos of yourself. A front view, a side view, and a three-quarter view are most helpful. This will let us see if there are any breast asymmetries, if the breasts are narrow, if the breasts are wide, what your chest wall looks like, and this will also help us make a decision as to the best size breast implant for you.

In my experience in general, if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc.

This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this. For example, if she has a chest wall issue where the chest is slightly sunken, this is called a pectus deformity, then she would require a little bit more volume to first bring her chest to a level position and then move forward to the projection of a C cup. This may require implants of about 50cc more. It's important to examine the patient and have complete information to make this decision.

breast implant size

1.   32 a   to 32 c   needs about 250-275 cc

2.   34a    to 34c     needs about 300-350 cc

3.   36a    to 36 c     needs about 350-400 cc

4.   You will be a double dd or larger  with 400

Your doctor will work with you to choose the best implant #shape and #implantprofile based on your goals and measurements.  In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.  The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the patient desires, as well as the size of the implant and size of her chest. The profiles are usually described as high, moderate plus and moderate.

Breast asymmetry

Correcting breast asymmetry to give long-lasting symmetry is challenging and I would advise seeing a plastic surgeon who is experienced and has a special interest in this. As you have discovered, asymmetry can re-emerge with time for a whole host of reasons. The ideal is to achieve the same composition to each breast. So for example, if you have an implant on one side only, then your breasts will always behave differently over time and be asymmetric. The same composition on each side can be achieved by using implants and/or fat transfer.

All the very best,

Jonathan

Jonathan Adamthwaite, FRCS (Plast)
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

I am sorry but is really difficult to give you specific advice without having photos or examining you.  Usually with breast asymmetry there are several options.  The basically wind down to either making the smaller one larger, the larger one smaller, or a combination of both.  Nipple/Areola size can be adjusted as well.  Options for breast enlargement include augmentation with implants or with fat transfer.  Options for breast reduction include liposuction and surgical excision of excess tissue.  Sometimes a breast lift (adjusting the nipple location up) is also needed.  If you're unhappy with the way you currently look it's important to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with breast reconstruction and augmentation.  It's also probably worth seeking several opinions before going ahead with another procedure.  I hope that helps.  Good luck.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

You may need differential augmentation and a reduction/lift on the larger side.  My guess is that you had surgery relatively early in terms of breast development and now that puberty is more advanced, an appreciable difference remains.  Best wishes.

Corrective breasts surgery

Dear madam,

Front and side view pictures would have been very helpful. It sounds like your right breast continued to grow after surgery, which causes your present size asymmetry. That issue can be corrected by either larger implant on the left side or breast reduction on the right side . Perky breasts and symmetrical areolas can be created at the same time.

You have to realize, that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely, to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

Dr Widder

Breast issue

You are best to be seen in person to determine what is best for you.  A lift  +/- implants may be appropriate.

Breast Augmentation - Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to provide specific advice without photographs. It is important to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in revision breast cases.  The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Hope this helps.

Breast asymmetry

Hello and thank you for the question. This is something best answered in person. Generally, I favor a combined approach to dealing with patients who have significant asymmetry. 

I generally prefer to use the same implant on both sides. Differential implants may balance the size equation, but due to differences in implant diameter, curvature and shape, they rarely look exactly the same. 

Then once both implants are placed, the breast tissue is adjusted to better size / shape match. It sounds like you might need a reduction on the larger breast for a better fit. 

Since you are still young, you should recognize the fact that you will likely need more work done in the future. weight gain / weight loss, pregnancy, etc... all affect the size / shape of your breasts. 

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care doctor.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon