Would there be something wrong with my implant?

Ive had a boob job 3 1/2 years ago and have never had a problem. Yesterday ive noticed that my right breast is swollen and very hard on top. My ribs underneath hurt when i press on them. The boob itself doesnt hurt when i touch it or press on it.

Doctor Answers 4

It’s probably time to see your plastic surgeon or primary care doctor.

Swelling, pain and firmness years after breast augmentation could be a sign of capsular contracture, a buildup of fluid, an unrelated problem with your breast or another issue. You should schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon or your primary care doctor to investigate the cause. You may want to start with the plastic surgeon who performed your breast augmentation since your breast implants could be a factor in the symptoms you describe.

Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 118 reviews

Breast Changes 3 Years Post Op

A sudden change such as this should be examined in person. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon. You could also be examined and have imaging done with your primary care doctor in the meantime.
All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 176 reviews

Swelling of breast after 3.5 yrs

Thank you for your question. It may be early capsular contracture or any other conditions. You need to be seen by a PS for evaluation.

Ven Erella, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast swollen three years after augmentation

I would advise you to make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for evaluation. This could be any number of things, most of which are not dangerous but most of which need to be addressed to maintain the good state of your augmentation. This could be a seroma or a hematoma both are collections of fluid around your implant that would need to be drained and evaluated.  This could be an early capsular contracture that may require surgical intervention or if caught early may respond to Singulair.  It could be something musculoskeletal unrelated to the implant or it could be a cyst or mass in the breast itself.  So you see, you need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon, preferably the one that placed your implants. Best of luck! 

Melinda Haws, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.