Recovery - My breast augmentation is less than 4 weeks away.

I'm just curious as to what I should prepare myself for once in recovery. Is there anything in particular I should get beforehand to make recovery less in duration? What bra should I purchase? What medical scar scream works best? And for those that bruise easy what could be done to heal fast? And response or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Recovery planning

Thank you for your question.  It will be really important to follow the specific instructions by your surgeon.  Ask the office if you need to take any specific medications and if you will receive a post-surgical bra.  You have plenty of time to get scar cream later on.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Recovery from breast augmentation

This is an exciting time for you! Most of your questions will be answered at your pre-op appointment. I recommend writing them down so you don't forget them. In my practice patients leave the recovery room in a post operative surgical bra. Check to see if this is included with your surgery. As for scar recovery I do not recommend using any type of scar gel until your incisions have healed. I instruct my patients at 3 weeks to begin using scar gel. In my office I recommended Skin Medica Scar Recovery Gel. It's an excellent product backed by science. (If purchasing online beware of knock offs) Check with your surgeon and see what is recommended for scar recovery. 

Best of luck to you!

#breastaugmentation #breastimplants #recovery #scar #biocorneum

I suggest you speak to your plastic surgeon about his/her protocol for pre and post care. You should receive a specific set of instructions. I see some answers to this specific question that I would not agree are a good choice.

Surgeons are influenced by experience and have protocols they will want you to follow. We do like a scar protocol using #biocorneum which is an FDA approved topical silicone gel scar treatment

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

You should ask your surgeon about what post-op recovery instructions he recommends. I would ask him directly since he is your surgeon and instructions will vary from doctor to doctor.

Preparing for breast augmentation

It's important to stop taking any aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Naproxen, etc.) for at least 10-14 days before surgery, since those medications affect blood clotting and can lead to increased bruising after surgery. You also might want to obtain some gel cold packs that you can place on your breasts or bra after surgery to decrease swelling and discomfort, or you can just use a bag of frozen peas. I'm sure that your surgeon will guide you about these things, and it's important to follow your surgeon's recommendations. I would also imagine that your surgeon will provide you with an appropriate bra after surgery. In terms of scar creams, there are many options, with unclear benefits. Creams high in silicone content are thought to be helpful. You typically wouldn't start any creams until the steri-strip tapes are removed after surgery, so you can get a cream at that point if your surgeon recommends it. Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Preparing for breast augmentation recovery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Your surgeon's office should be giving you your instructions and advice for your surgery.
  • There is no need to buy scar cream now - wait and see if you need to use one.
  • Some people claim that taking arnica reduces bruising - but do not take this without your surgeon's approval.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Steps to prepare for surgery

Thank you for being proactive!

Please consult with your surgeon on how best to prepare for surgery and recovery and their advice should take precedence over everything you read here.

Before surgery you can prepare your body by staying healthy and taking steps to ease the recovery process.

If you smoke, then you should stop smoking 1 month prior to surgery. Smoking a cigarette within the month of the surgery can double your risk of infection. Smoking will also cause delayed wound healing, so it is important to cease smoking for 1 month after surgery as well.

If you have children, then have someone ready to take care of them for at least 2 week after surgery as you will be travelling.

If you have a dog, have someone to walk the dog at least for 2-4 weeks.

Please arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and accompany you for 24 hours right after surgery – most patients ask a friend to help.

You do not want to have a lot of work waiting for you after surgery, so do them before surgery.

Cook extra food ahead of time, or you can simply order food if you are not recovering at home.

You may start a healthier diet and engage in physical exercise right now to strengthen your body’s immune system and to enhance the healing processes of your body.

Avoid alcohol few days prior to surgery.

Make sure to inform your surgeon of all your medications – natural and pharmaceutical. You may have to stop some medications like aspirin and ibuprofen as then can increase bleeding 2-6 weeks before – ask you surgeon.

Bring loose-fitting clothes that open in the front and comfortable flat shoes that slip on – you will need such clothes while you recover for the 1st week. Also bring warm shawls if you are having surgery during the winter.

You should ask your surgeon how long you are required to stay in town, and how the follow-up process works.

It is recommended that you stay within the vicinity of your surgeon for a few days after your surgery for follow-ups if you are having an out-of-town surgery.

It is recommended to frequently follow-up with your surgeon for a few weeks or few months especially until you achieve final results 3-6 months after surgery to make sure you breasts are healing well without complications. You may alternatively do this with a plastic surgeon in your own area, but they will not know everything about the surgical details.

A follow-up evaluation just before departure would be recommended to make sure that all is well for your travel back.

Please note that this information does not serve as instructions for recovery which may include specific details such as avoiding intensive exercise for 6 weeks, taking antibiotics for 1 week, doing breast massages, wearing sports bras, etc.). Your surgeon may have their own recommendations regarding the recovery protocol.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It is good to be planning ahead, but the only postop instructions you should follow are those given to you by your surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation

I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon because some may provide you with post-operative recovery essentials such as a surgical bra, compression strap, body wash (Hibiclens) etc and some require you to purchase these things yourself. You will also want to have somebody stay with you for the first 24 hours at minimum to help you and keep an eye on your incase any complications arise. Other than that be sure to have all of your medications filled, maybe get a nice comfortable pillow, ice pack and some high protein foods for your recovery. In regards to bruising you can apply topical vitamin K cream and I like the use of silicone gel scar strips for scar treatment. Best of luck.
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon