I have tissue around my vagina hole that kinda hangs out. It concerns me a bit. Should I be worried?

Extra tissue around the vaginal opening, what do I do?

Hi Jwef,Thanks for your question. It seems that  it is normal considering at what phase your are in your life. I would recommend going in for a consultation to get a proper exam. this would allow you to get a better explanation of what to do since you have not posted any photos. It is perfectly normal to have extra tissue. Hope this helps. Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #labioplasty #vaginalrejuvenetation Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty or Vaginoplasty to Reduce Excess Tissue

#Labialplasty is probably the most common of the Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.  This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in wearing tight clothing, such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe” which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations. Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient, as you would be able to have your procedure specialized for the reduction of your excess skin. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures as well as other varieties of treatment. The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Tissue hanging out

Dear Jwef:

There are many things it could be, but if they don't bother you : i.e. causes, pain , discomfort, difficulty, urinating, having a BM, pressure of you just don't like way it looks then most likely it is nothing to worry about.  I would encourage you to seek an evaluation.

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ BeverlyHills ~ Dubai

Excess Tissue

Hi:  No concern at all. Only if it causes irritation , pain or if you are bothered by the appearance. 

Should I be worried about tissue that hangs out?

The general answer without doing an examination is No - you don't need to worry.

There are three common things that "hang out."  If you have had babies then you might be suffering from pelvic organ prolapse.  This could be your bladder or rectum or cervix.  This is not life threatening - and can be fixed if you have symptoms.

Sometimes a woman's labia minora are enlarged and can "hang out."  This is usually just how a woman's body is shaped.  If this is troublesome, cosmetic surgery can fix this.

Another thing that hangs out is a remnant of a hymenal ring.  This is usually a skin tag that can be easily removed.

A physical examination by your gynecologist will answer this question for you. 

Tissue near vaginal opening

Hello Jwef,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Without any photos, it is difficult to determine what the tissue is around the vaginal opening. I recommend firstly a consultation in order for you to receive detailed information. A cosmetic GYN is likely the best physician to have a consultation with. 

Tissue hanging out of my vagina

Hello jwef,

It's impossible for anyone to answer your question without a photo. I recommend you see your family doctor or gynecologist for an examination and explanation of your findings.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

What's this little skin tag-thing sticking out from my vaginal opening..?

While of course a photo would be helpful (!), what you describe is most likely a hymenal tag(s), "loosened" from its attachment by sex or childbirth. No big matter, not dangerous, normal anatomy. If it bugs you, most gynecologists (and certainly a cosmetic Gyn) can remove it in the office under "local."

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Opening tags

try your OBGYN for definition and checking--probably fine. There is great variation on how these hymenal tags look since there are lots of variation to start with. I presume you are not a virgin. Breaking of the hymen needs to occur for access to the vaginal canal with first intercourse. When it is torn it heals back--always a different pattern.

Hymenal tags sometimes do this

What you describe is frequently a hymenal tag - a left over skin tag from when the hymen broke. These tags have different shapes and sizes. They are harmless, but can be removed quickly in the office.