I want to know how I can get my love handles surgically removed?

I'm just wondering if there is a surgical procedure to get rid of "love handles" they are at my waist they are about an inch or so thick on both sides and I've heard it can cause heart problems. And if such a procedure was done is it covered under fidelis medical insurance

Removing love handles..

It sounds like liposuction would probably be your best answer but a nonsurgical option would be CoolSculpting. Unfortunately it wouldn't be covered by medical insurance but you would like your new look.

Liposuction

Liposuction can address your love handles effectively and will NEVER be covered by medical insurance. 
DrBurnett#realself100

"love handles"

Love handles are often fatty tissue.  If it is mainly fat then liposuction may be reasonable.  If it is excess skin then direct excision would be reasonable. Insurance will likely not cover this.

Liposuction for love handles

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction is used to remove the excess fat that forms 'love handles.
  • Sadly, insurance will not pay for any liposuction - it is a cosmetic procedure, not a medically necessary one.
  • The fat of particular concern that increases the risk of heart problems is not flank fat but internal visceral fat - around the liver, stomach, heart and other body organs.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction

Thank you for your question.  In order to provide you with the best advice, it is important to perform an exam and see photos.  Generally, liposuction is the most appropriate method of removing focal areas of fat, such as love handles.  A key aspect of the timing of any type of body contouring procedure is to wait until you are at a stable, goal weight for at least 6 months typically.  I would advise you to consult with a board certified plastic surgery.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Without examining you or seeing photos its difficult to give specific advice but it sounds like you are looking for liposuction to your love handles. It's unlikely that it would be covered by insurance but every plan is different. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD