I am 5' 6" and I weigh 320 lbs. How much weight do I have to lose before I consider a Mommy makeover? (photo)

Bust 52 in. Waist 47 in. Hips 57 in. Thighs 36 in. Arms 15 in also I'm 30 years old with no medical issues.

Drderby

Try to get your BMI to 34 max and try to lose as much weight as possible before the procedure. Get used to a healthy life style from now because that will help you a lot after your surgery. Best of luck  

Healthy BMI

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. You would need to be down to a healthy weight and BMI before having a cosmetic procedure to insure a safe outcome. Also, being at a stable weight is key to ensure you don't gain weight back after surgery. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Fancisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Weight Loss Before Surgery

Thank you for your question and photos. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this is not possible, your BMI should be below 30 to minimize your risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Should you lose weight?

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

How much weight do I have to lose before I consider a Mommy makeover?

Thank you for the question and picture. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover Surgery and Weight Loss

Hello  You will obtain your best long term result from mommy makeover surgery if you bring your weight within 15 to 20 pounds of a realistic weight target.  Often the possibility of surgery can be a wonderful motivator that will enable you to lose significant weight over time.  This is best done though changes to your eating patterns and daily exercise.  I have many patients who achieved as much as a 150 pound weight loss through these simple measures, consistently applied over time..  It is best if you maintain your goal weight for 6 months before surgery..  Best of Luck

John Q. Cook, MD

Ideal Weight Before Plastic Surgery

I commonly see patients in consultation for plastic surgery who would benefit from preoperative weight loss, so I think your question is a very good one. 

You should try to get close to your ideal weight. Plastic surgery is ideal for contouring and not significant weight loss.  A BMI between 18.5-25 is considered ideal; for your height, that would put you between 115-155 pounds. Starting where you are, I would consider meeting with a physician to discuss your weight loss options, ranging from diet/exercise to medications to surgical interventions. 

The closer your are to your ideal weight, the better your results will be; also, the risks associated with the operation improve as well. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Mommy make-over - what is best weight

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You would need a BMI of at least 35 and ideally 30 or less.
  • Your BMI now is 51.6
  • You would need to lose at least 100 pounds.
  • The best approach, if you cannot do this with diet and exercise, is to ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon for a gastric bypass.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

How much weight to lose before a mommy makeover?

At your current height and weight, you have a BMI that is too high for an elective procedure like a mommy makeover.  You would want your BMI to be under 30 if possible and that would mean losing about 130 pounds.  Safety is most important, so lose the weight before any planned surgery.  Good luck

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Healthy Weight

30 Years old, 5'6 and 320 is definitely a health problem. Your current BMI is 51.6. Anything over a 30 is medically considered Obese. For any board certified cosmetic surgeon to even think about operating safely on you, you would need your BMI to be a maximum of 30. I would suggest getting yourself on a healthy diet and exercise schedule first.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon