Will insurance cover labiaplasty & vaginal canal reconstruction if panties keep pulling on my labia causing discomfort? (Photo)

When i was 8 i had a accident were a pool to a chair went through my vagina and when i got the surgery to repair it they did a bad job and didnt repair my hymen either and now im 18 and had my son at 17 and im having alot of issues i get uti frequently and my vaginal walls need to be repair and when i walk my libia gets pulled on and causes my vaginal walls to sometimes rip open some depending on how hard my libia is pulled please i need help.

Possible Insurance Coverage

Hello and thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear about your injury and earlier surgical problems. Considering this fact there may be a solid case to take to your insurance company, but considering the fact hat each one handles claims differently you would have to ask them directly.Costs for #CosmeticLabiaplasty and #CosmeticFemaleSugery will depend upon the specific surgery that is requested, type of anaesthesia, experience of the surgery, and geographic location. Estimated fees can be found on Real Self, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery websites, and you should be able to take this information to your insurance company with any inquiries or requests for coverage. Best of luck!

Sad labia stories won't prompt insurance companies to cover labiaplasty

Your story indicates that you may have vaginal and/or labial scarring. If this is the case, insurance might cover the surgical release of adhesions. I do these for various conditions. However, labiaplasty to reduce the size of the labia is not covered by insurance even if done during these procedures. See your gynecologist first, then seek out a labiaplasty expert. If your surgeon is both, the better for you.

Insurance does not cover cosmetic labiaplasty

Hello Kay,Thanks for your post and photo which demonstrates labial hypertrophy. I'm unable to comment on your vaginal concerns which seem to have started after your vaginal delivery, for this you should first visit with your gynecologist to rule out any issues. You say your "vaginal walls NEED to be repaired", but this isn't life threatening. Seems that you want vaginal function improved, but this doesn't necessarily mean surgery. Ideally, you should postpone a surgical repair till you're finished having children. There are several non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation options available.If you want great functional and aesthetic results following your Labiaplasty you should do your research and identify a cosmetic vaginal surgeon with experience...look at their before and after photos, and be prepared to travel. With this procedure you do get what you pay for.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty: Insurance Coverage

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I am sorry about your current condition.  There are two components to your question.  The first issue are your UTIs, which should be evaluated by a urologist to determine the cause -- including did they occur before and/or after pregnancy and is there an anatomic cause.  The other issue is what you are experiencing with your labia.  I would recommend an experienced urologist to evaluate your first issue and an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon to evaluate the second issue.  Another option is to find one urologist who has experience in both conditions.  There are some of us who are trained in both urinary incontinence and cosmetic urology. There are several types of surgeons who
promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic
Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic
surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. Cosmetic
Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience
in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.  Unlike the large
number of these other specialists, there is a much smaller number
of qualified Cosmetic Urologists who are dedicated to the
surgery of the genitalia.  Other specialists may not have practices
dedicated solely to the genitalia -- plastic surgeons may also
be performing breast implants and facelifts, gynecologists may
also be performing hysterectomies and caring for menopause, and
general urologists may also
be performing surgery for prostate cancer and erectile
dysfunction.  In regards to insurance coverage, we have had experience with insurance companies paying for labiaplasty for medical conditions. However, it depends on the specific medical issues and the individual insurance company.  I hope that this answer helps.  Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Will insurance cover labiaplasty?

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photograph.  Unfortunately insurance companies deem procedures such as labiaplasty not "medically necessary" and will not cover the costs.  Because of the delicate natures of the tissues you want to find a surgeon well-versed in this surgery to maximize your results.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation cost/insurance coverage

I am sorry you have had to deal with these issues for so long. For best treatment options, you should undergo an exam with a urogynecologist, certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. Further evaluation to determine the cause of your UTIs and the best reconstructive surgery will help you to treat these issues. Most likely, the vaginal surgery - rejuvenation, prolapse repair and treatment of urinary incontinence if present will be billed through your insurance. When labiaplasty is also desired, we perform the labiaplasty 1-2 weeks after the vaginal reconstructive surgery. The labiaplasty is performed in the office and is not covered by insurance. 

INSURANCE and labia & vaginoplasty

Dear Kay:
Thank you for sharing your question as this is asked often.  Insurance companies in the past rarely paid for the surgical procedure -- labia reduction.   Since the so called "Affordable Healthcare Act" has been implemented the chance of getting the insurance  companies to pay now is even less possible as the deductible have increased dramatically.  In the past the patients would often have deductibles of $1000 or $2000 but now I have patients coming in with deductibles of $8,0000 to 12,000.00.This means you need to pay the first $8,000-12000 out of your pocket prior to the insurance company helping out.  The affordable healthcare act is not so affordable for patients and has changed the game.  So the overall answer is usually 'No" insurance companies will not pay for cosmetic surgery even if you believe you have a legit reason.  That being said you might be able to get a surgeon to accept insurance and code it for "vaginal/vulvar scar" but usually you are not getting an experienced reconstructive vaginal surgeon ..... You will most likely get an inexperienced surgeon who will get paid approx $200 by the insurance company ---- and more importantly you will probably get $200 worth of results.     Please choose a surgeon based upon their experience, expertise, reputation and results (before and after photos) do not choose a surgeon based upon location and so called board certificatication

John R Miklos MD Urogynecology & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai