I had root canal done on my left maxillary lateral incisor my ortho said to put a post on before braces for support.

Is this correct? 

Post for your tooth

Although its customary for dentist to place a post in a tooth for support, the post itself can create undue pressure in the root system of the tooth, causing breakage and fracture of the teeth! Therefore its essential for the restorative dentist to make the distinction if a post is necessary. There are several choices in post designs including none threaded designs which can create less undue stress on the teeth. Please discuss this with your restorative dentist to make sure the tooth is adequately stable.

Los Angeles Dentist