What can be done to correct the eye asymmetry after upper and lower eyelid surgery? (Photo)

I had upper and lower eyelid surgery with laser resurfacing 5 months ago. My right eye is smaller than the left eye. The left eye is open too much and gets dry. I look tired and angry and my eyes feel dry. Even when I try and look good, I look "bug-eyed" in the left eye. I wish I had never had it done but I know it's too late for that. The doctor told me I needed to talk to God, he did the best he could do. I am 71 and was trying not to look so tired.

What can be done to correct the eye asymmetry after upper and lower eyelid surgery?

In the presence of volume loss; blepharoplasty can be combined with stem cell enriched fat transfer in order to have a better result. If you have volume loss in the supportive fat pads then it is the best way to combine stem cell enriched fat transfer to the lower eyelids. Because removing the excess skin tissue will not solve problem by itself but lead to depression in the lower eyelid area in a later time period. Therefore; assessing the patient properly and understanding the exact need is the most important step in the aesthetics surgery practice. You can be sure that you will be evaluated in detail to understand what bothers you and what the underlying problem that led to this condition is.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis of the right upper eyelid and brow ptosis

Hello Shelba,I'm sorry you didn't get the result you wanted. The good news is I believe you can get improvement.  Seek out another surgeon to give you an exam with recommendations.   Your pictures reveal ptosis of the right upper eyelid and brows.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis remains after blepharoplasty

The asymmetry is due to upper eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid) which is relates to the underlying muscle responsible for lifting the upper eyelid.  Blepharoplasty merely removes fat without altering eyelid height position.  On the other hand, ptosis surgery lifts the upper eyelid. See following link and video. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is just a bad blepharoplasty.

It is the typical mediocre blepharoplasty result.  It is not below the standard of care in my opinion because the result is typical.  I am not saying that is right.  I am sorry that your surgeon is unable to learn from your result and I am sorry you have to suffer because of this lack of empathy on the part of your surgeon.Photos are not a substitute for an actual consultation. You appear to have post blepharoplasty ptosis.  The cause for the ptosis has not been established but it is very common.  One theory is that the upper eyelid tendon is cut at the time of surgery and I do believe that there are cases like that.  However another possiblity is that in many eyelids, the tendon is already loosely inserted in the eyelid.  Inflammation, swelling, and wound healing results in these tendons to scroll up into the eyelid as it heals.  The effect is the same, the eyelid becomes droopy after surgery.  This is fixable and at the same time, the upper eyelid crease can be lowered.  Often residual fat can be in the upper eyelid can be repositioned to help improve the appearance of the upper eyelid fold.  The lower eyelids can be more complicated to repair.  There are many tools to address these issues.  Generally the problem with the lower eyelid is motor weakness from the blepharoplasty.  My free ebook attached below discusses how the lower eyelids are fixed in detail.

Upper and lower blepharoplasty results

Your photographs show ptosis of the right eyelid, and also brow ptosis. The best course of action is to see an oculoplastic surgeon in your area for revision surgery. You might want several opinions in fact. Prior to agreeing to anything, be sure to have all of your questions answered, and look at before and after photographic evidence that the surgeon is an expert with the levator muscle. Levator reattachment with or without a modest brow lift - in the right hands - would give you a rejuvenated, rested appearance. If you are healthy, the revisions could be done in an office setting. Best wishes for a much better experience.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon