Is it better to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to administer Botox for frown lines between the brows?

Botox -- Plastic Surgeon vs Dermatologist

The answer to your question depends more on the experience of each physician instead of a global generalization of one type of doctor being "better" than the other. 

I think the key lies in truly understanding the anatomy, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection.  This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein.  As a plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves.  For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to.  However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

The experience and education of the individual physician you seek will guide your decision-making more than their specific field of training.

Good luck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck.

A Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

We always recommend that anyone having Botox or one of the other toxins, as well as fillers, be injected in an office with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Both of these specialties have the advanced training with these injections to hopefully achieve the end result that you are looking.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injections and what specialist to see

Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are good choices for botox injections. They both have formal training in the facial anatomy of the area. Of course, the particular training of each individual in either specialty may vary so find someone you like and feel comfortable with. Also make sure the actual physician is doing the injections and not delegating it off to another staff member in the office. 

Is it better to see a #dermatologist or #plastic #surgeon to administer #Botox ?

If you're being injected by the physician, either would be a great choice. Both are trained in safe and effective use of Botox. Just ensure that you know who will be doing your injections as many offices will delegate injectables to a different, non-physician "injector". I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who Should Administer Botox?

Both a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon would great choices for a Botox treatment as long as they are board-certified and have extensive experience administering the treatment. Botox may seem like a simple procedure, however it does require skill and expertise in order to achieve the most ideal results. It is best to conduct a thorough consultation with any board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon before undergoing a Botox treatment. 

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Who Should Administer Botox?

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

The experience and training of the injector is the most important factor.

Either a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, with appropriate training, can administer Botox safely and with excellent results.  Other important factors in making your decision are the location and convenience of the facility, rapport with the physician and staff, and cost.

Hello, and thank you for the question. A dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon would be a fantastic choice. When seeking treatment with Botox for the glabella, it is important to choose a physician who is board certified and has a great deal of experience performing the injections. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Plastic Surgeon or dermatologist for botox

A physician can be an experienced and expert injector as either a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. 

The botoxcosmetic website will allow you to determine if a physician is purchasing genuine botox and at what frequency he purchases botox. Adjust this level if the physician performs Hyperhidrosis treatments as it requires large amounts of botox, and is not relevant to your treatment.

An in person consultation will allow you to get a sense if the physician understands your goals/objectives and is comfortable in providing you the result that you seek.

​Both options are preferable.

Both options are preferable. That being said, someone who is considered an expert injector and someone who you feel comfortable with is imperative. 

​Both options are preferable.

Botox

I think it is fine to go to either a dermatologist or plastic surgeon just as long as they are experienced. Best of luck.

Botox