I'm 21 and really don't want to have to get Braces for closing my gap, what would you recommend? (photo)

i have a little gap between my teeth what could i do to close the gap besides getting braces, im 21 and really dont want to have to get braces for the gap, what would u recommend? thank you.

Doctor Answers 4

Invisalign/ClearCorrect etc.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Alternatives to braces are widely available... one of the better known methods are clear removable trays such as Invisalign and ClearCorrect. Your orthodontist may also be able to place "lingual braces" to close the gaps if you don't mind the appliances on the "inside" of your upper teeth. 

Rockville Orthodontist

Small Space Closure in Weeks!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Invisalign Express in the right hands can work very well for minor tooth movement. Though it is hard to see the exact measurement of space that you have between your front teeth in your picture if the gap is truly a  small gap, the you should look for an Invisalign Elite provider in your area for an Invisalign Express Consult.  The aligners will be hardly noticeable and it could be closed in weeks!

Invisalign Would Close that Gap in a Heartbeat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Really your best option would be some form of orthodontics, and this is definitely something that can be done with Invisalign.

Trying to fix and orthodontic problem with dental work usually results in a compromise that no one is happy with. Given the shape of your upper incisors cosmetic bonding would make them look more squarish, so moving the teeth would be a far better way to close the space. Fortunately, there are lots of options for doing this without traditional braces.

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist

Cosmetic Bonding may Work for You

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is really hard to tell from your picture exactly what the problem is in your case.  If you have a small space between your upper front teeth that concerns you cosmetically, consider having it bonded by a dentist experienced in cosmetic dentistry.  This can be accomplished without tooth preparation so if in the future you decide to have the orthodontics, it can be removed having caused no harm to the underlying tooth structure.

My guess is that you have a muscle attachment running between those teeth so if you want a permanent solution without adding material to your teeth, consider having a frenectomy followed by some short term orthodontics to close the gap.  Clear aligner therapy can be used to accomplish this and at 21, you will be happy as they are virtually unnoticeable to your friends.

Good Luck!

Gary Nack, DDS
Philadelphia Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.