Closed Rhinoplasty Percutaneous Sutures on Dorsum? Success or Failure? (photo)

Closed Septo-Rhino on 13th July 2013 9 days after cast removal, found 2 stiches on dorsum On asking surgeon, he claims I dint have sthng there that he kept for me I never had a problem with my nasal bridge?! what did he do?! Plz look at my before/after photos and comment Also, my Doctor asks me to tape my nose with 3M micropore tape everyday for 4-6months... Also I insert small cotton underneath tape to pose pressure on dorsum just before the tip, dr says so that sthng there goes down ?!

Closed Rhinoplasty Sutures and Early Results

Thank you for sharing your questions and images. You are very early in the healing process and it will be another 6-12 months before your final results are appreciated. Many changes will occur during this time period and your surgeon will advise you as to the limitations and interventions recommended to optimize your results. Be open and honest with your surgeon, but most of all, be patient. On a final note, external sutures are occasionally used to secure grafts when traditional suturing under the skin envelope can not be accomplished. This happens most often in closed rhinoplasty and when a graft is being secure near the radix in a open rhinoplasty. I hope this helps. Take care. 

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nice result after one month from a rhinoplasty

You result looks quite good at this point.  The external sutures or parachute type sutures can be used to support the underlying cartilage as it heals.  Continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.

Post rhinoplasty

The stitches were probably used to support underlying structures during the healing process.  Your post op photos look pretty good.  Give it time, I believe you will have a good result.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Closed rhinoplasty percutaneous sutures on dorsum?

The stitches, although not clear on the photo, based on the description were likely just sutures to hold a dorsal graft stable on top of the nose in the immediate post op period until it was beginning to heal in proper position. I will use these at times as well. Your pictures look quite good and it appears that from a difficult nose he has done a very good job of reshaping the profile and defining the tip. I think you will have a pretty outcome. Don't fret over things he has you do since he has a reason. Just be patient and in a few months I think you should be very happy. congratulations.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Story

I want to reiterate what other Surgeons have already posted:  the questions you have are best answered by your Surgeon.  The blue sutures were most likely prolene used to anchor some form of a graft; this is normal practice and not unusual.  Although your early results are very acceptable, you will need to wait a full year before calling it a final result.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsum and sutures

Without knowing exactly what was done, it is difficult to comment. Most likely the sutures were there for graft material. Best to ask your surgeon.

Closed Rhinoplasty Percutaneous Sutures on Dorsum? Success or Failure?

These concerns are always best addressed with the operative surgeon "face to face'. The blue sutures are most likely used for grafts to hold in place. As for appearance in my view you have a very good outcome. 

What was done during rhinoplasty

Your picuture shows varied views and we can't see much amiss. Just what was done during your closed rhinoplasty and what your goal was should be discussed with the surgeon who did it. So far, do you like what you see?

Confusing story about rhinoplasty.

The pictures as well as the information is confusing. In general it takes a number of months for the final outcome after most no surgery. You should have chosen your surgeon based on trust and with that return to the office and listen to his advice.