What is the youngest age you can get a Breast reduction? Will Insurance cover it, or most of it? What size is best for my frame?

Im 5'2, I weigh 115, I have a small frame. I have back and shoulder pain, physical activities are a challenge, and I'm very insecure. I'm a size 32DDDD

Youngest age you can get a breast reduction.

If your breast size has been stable we often begin at age 17, though a good time to consider reduction is just as you finish high school and transition to college. Under 18 you need parental support though it is time to begin the discussion. Insurance coverage can vary by state and by insurance plan. Coverage can be confirmed through an insurance predetermination by your plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction age

Before undergoing a breast reduction procedure, you want to make sure your breasts are fully developed. This can happen at different ages for different young women. In general, at 18 years old your breasts should be fully developed and you can look into breast reduction surgery. As you said, you have a small frame with large breasts, so as long as you are fully developed you are likely a good candidate for a breast reduction. However, you should consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with breast reduction surgery to make sure you get the best results possible. At this time, you should also discuss what size is best for you. As for insurance, every insurance provider and plan is different so it is hard to say exactly what sort of coverage you will have. You should call your insurance provider and find out from them directly. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

What is the youngest age you can get a Breast reduction?

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and (possible) psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure. 

It will be important that you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right patient it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

I hope this, and the attached link (breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction and age

I have treated some teenagers with their parents' permission. It really depends upon the individual. Ideally, you want to treat the person when they  are no longer growing.

What Age for Breast Reduction?

You need to be 18 years old to have surgery without parental consent. As far as insurance covering your surgery, it will depend on your insurance policy. Your best bet is to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in breast surgery for a consultation. The surgeon will be able to help you determine what size is best for your frame and should be able to help you get pre authorization from your insurance. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD