I am two weeks post BA. Right breast feels much different, could I be in the early stages of capsular contracture? (Photo)

I am two weeks post ba, my right breast(left in the pic) is much harder to the touch. My left breast has increasing became softer and more rounded at the bottom, while my right breast is still more firm. Could this be early signs of capsular contracture?

I am two weeks post BA. Right breast feels much different, could I be in the early stages of capsular contracture?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Firmness and slightly high breast implants common in first few weeks

Two weeks is too early to tell. If you are right handed then your pectoralis major muscle is thicker and if the implant is beneath it ,, then early on, especially in those with great chest muscle tone, before it has time to relax and adjust to the implant it will be much firmer and maybe even ride higher. This will drop and get softer with time indicating a normal recovery whereas a capsular contracture will get worse

Breast Implants and early capsular contracture

Your breasts look fairly symmetrical. Generally, it takes months for the breasts to soften. 2 weeks after surgery is early and I would suggest you give them time to heal. Capsular contracture generally takes many weeks to appear and starts normally when your breasts are suppose to be softening. Christopher Costanzo MD, Thousand Oaks, California

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug Healing

Hi There.  From what I see in your photo, your breasts look good.  Healing on both breasts can heal at different stages so it is not uncommon that you see one more swollen than the other. Also, 2 weeks post op is a little premature for capsular contracture but to feel more comfortable and to err on the side of caution, please call your plastic surgeon so that he can physically evaluate your breasts.  Best of Luck to you!

2 weeks post-op, right breast feels different - could I have capsular contracture?

Thank you very much for your enquiry and photograph. I think at this stage, two weeks following breast augmentation it is very unlikely you will be developing a capsular contracture. You are right that your right breast does look a little bit more swollen, particularly in the upper part, but this is relatively common at this stage following the operation. Capsular contractures normally occur much later following surgery and early differences are more attributable to swelling and muscle activity.

I think you need to leave it a few months to assess the appearance of the bust which will soften when the swelling settles and in the vast majority of cases look much more natural. I hope you find this reassuring, if you have any concerns it would be worth discussing them with your plastic surgeon and I hope the area settles well.

2 weeks post

You look like you have a great result.  At this stage, differences between the breasts are common.  Please see your surgeon who can reassure you.  Contracture would be extremely uncommon at this stage.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Early capsular contracture

Breasts always feel different initially after breast augmentation.  Aggressive massage to soften the breast and impact the capsule would be helpful.  Early capsular contractures do happen although are rare.  A small hematoma or seroma can cause the right breast to feel more full. Ask your plastic surgeon about these.

Capsular contracture 2 weeks post BA?

It would be early to manifest capsular contracture within 2 weeks of your surgery. I would strongly recommend you see your plastic surgeon and have an in-person evaluation. At this point I often recommend my patients start massaging their implants, although not all surgeons recommend this, and this is not recommended for anatomic shaped implants. Please visit with your plastic surgeon who can jump in and optimize your postoperative outcome - take care!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Too early for capsule formation. Plus the one posted photo shows an excellent early result. Best to see your chosen operative surgeon IN PERSON! 

Concerns 2 weeks post-op BA

are best addressed by your surgeon who can better see as well as feel your concerns.  Your photos show excellent early results. 

Curtis Wong, MD