How much weight am I suppose to be for my breast augmentation and why does weight play a factor in it?

Ideal weight

Weight can play a role in breast augmentation.A stable pre-operative weight is ideal for the best post-operative results. A significant weight loss or gain after surgery can affect the results and shape of the breasts.I like my patients to be close their ‘normal’ weight for surgery.Excessive obesity can have implications during surgery and influence healing.Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon prior to your surgery to get your questions answered.  Best of luck, Dr. Michelle Spring

Ideal weight for a Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. There is no special weight you should be at for your surgery. As long as your healthy and not morbidly obese or anorexic (both of which can be problematic with your anesthesia and recovery). I recommend that patients come in with a weight that is normal for them.

If you artifically increase or decrease your weight for surgery this can affect your breast size before surgery, whic can then affect your final results. I hope your find this answer benificial.    

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

What weight should you be at for breast augmentation?

There is no exact weight you need to be at prior to breast augmentation. I do like my patients to be at their goal weight or within 10-15 pounds of that weight to achieve optimal results. I hope this helps. Good luck!

The concern about weight and breast augmentation is that if you lose significant weight after breast augmentation the breast may sag or appear too small and possibly require larger implants. It is best to be at a stable weight. It is ok to gain weight after breast augmentation or to lose 5-10 pounds. However very significant major weight loss could impact your result.

Of course if you are very underweight due to an eating disorder you likely are not healthy enough to have any elective surgery.

Discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon.

Candidate for surgery

There is no specific weight that you need to be in order to have a breast augmentation.  It does not play a factor in it.

Weight and breast augmentation ?

I'm  not certain  what you mean....if you are a candidate for the surgery, your weight and BMI should be within a normal range. An obese individual more frequently has  large , relatively unattractive breasts and rarely undergoes BA. If you are overweight and seriously plan to lose weight, then get to a reasonable target weight before having BA. You may require a  breast lift as well, not to mention that  breast size  changes with significant weight loss. 

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

What is the best weight to be before a breast augmentation?

Thanks for your question. Patients who are obese are more prone  to complications when undergoing surgery. Your best bet is to meet for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. The surgeon should give you a good idea about what a good weight would be for you to be at before undergoing surgery.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Body weight for breast aug

You should be close to your goal body weight.  Any extreme weight gain or loss may affect the appearance of your breast post-op.

Correct weight for breast augmentation

There is no weight restriction for having a breast augmentation. However, if you are severely overweight or underweight, it can put you at a higher risk for surgery in general and possible post op complication complications. Hope this helps -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How much weight am I suppose to be for my breast augmentation

Patients that are too heavy are at major risk for life threatening post op complications, as are those who are too thin from malnourishment. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD