How long will I be under when I get the breast augmentation?

Someone said I will be under for 2 hours.Or Does it depend on the surgery

The typical case can range between an hour to two hours. There are several factors that tie into how long each case can take though. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your procedure.

Under anesthesia for breast augmentation

Thank you form your question. Different surgeons use different techniques to preform breast enlargements. I utilize the bloodless breast enlargement technique, which I invented. In this operation I use the Halpern Breast Lighted Retractor, which I invented to meticulously dissect out the breast pocket. In addition I your incision from the inside out, leaving you with a hairline scar. This operation takes about a hour in a half to preform. My patients typically have no bruising because I use the Finesse technique that I invented as well. Many of my patients return to work in two to three days. My patients go home in a bra.

Other surgeons rip open the breast pocket with their finger resulting in a lot of bleeding. Some surgeons will not be as meticulous in closing your wound.  Some of these patients go home with tubes coming out of their breast draining blood. This type of operation, which I do not do, can take as little as 40 minuets to preform. Ask your surgeon which technique he or she will use. I hope you find this information useful and good luck with your surgery.           

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

I appreciate your question.

OR time depends on the complexity of your case.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

It definitely does depend on the surgery.  An average, straightforward breast augmentation takes about 45min to 1 hr.  A breast augmentation with a lift takes much longer.  Other issues such as asymmetry, tubular breasts, and previous breast surgery all can add time.  Hope that helps, and best wishes

Breast augmentation time

Time for a breast augmentation varies.  Some surgeon can do it in less than an hour, other can take more then two hours.
A simple breast augmentation in our clinic can take a very short time.  If your case is more complex and various adjustments need to be done to address breast asymmetries or shape, the surgery can take longer

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation time

The average time for surgery will be between 45-90 minutes and up to 2 hours. Timing depends on plane of breast implant (under or over muscle), revision surgery or first time surgery.

Jack Zoumaras, MBBS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

How long are you under anesthesia for a Breast Augmentation

Different surgeons will have varying times for a BA surgery.  The factors that can influence this are surgical approach, implant type (saline requires filling vs silicone is profiled), need for sizers, anesthesia choice and surgeon experience.  A straightforward breast augmentation surgery should for most surgeons be a relatively short surgery and would rarely extend past 2 hrs.  If you have already met with a plastic surgeon or you are going to, be sure to ask him/her their expected BA time for you during your consultation as times can very based on a patient's individual surgical treatment plan.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Good question, I tell patients for a straight forward breast augmentation surgery, it could take between one to two hours. A lot of variables are involved when it comes to a specific time frame of being under for surgery. At our consultations we give you an exact time needed for surgery depending on your personalized surgical plan, we have board certified anesthesiologist that stay with you throughout the whole surgical procedure and walk you through what to expect the day of your surgery and feel more at ease.

How long is breast augmentation surgery

I tell patients to expect surgery to take between one and two hours inclusive of time needed by anesthesia to get set up, patient positioning, and surgical time.  Variables which can make the surgery shorter or longer include your anatomy, presence of bleeding, surgeon experience, and need to use sizers before settling on a size among other factors.

Breast Augmentation

In general, most breast augmentation surgery takes about an hour although there are always exceptions to the rule. If you already have a surgeon, he or she would be best equipped to answer this question for you. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD