Breast augmentation - how should I prepare for the surgery?

Found a surgeon for the surgery. How should I prepare for the surgery?????I haven't been this excited since my daughter was born

Prepare Yourself & Your Home

Congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation! Although your surgeon will likely give you detailed instructions to follow prior to your surgery, there are a few things you can do now to get yourself and your surroundings ready. First, make a plan for your recuperation. Although you'll be able to move about your home, you'll need some help with everyday tasks and chores. Be sure you have a supportive friend or family member who is willing to lend a hand while you recover. It's also important to have comfortable, loose-fitting clothes to wear while you rest at home. These should include soft, lightweight, button-down tops. Having extra comfort supplies on hand, such as lotion and moist towelettes, gives you one less thing to worry about after surgery. As your surgery day approaches, it's wise to have your prescriptions filled beforehand. Your surgeon will also give you a complete list of medications to discontinue and special instructions to follow the night before and the morning of surgery. Best of luck!

Preparing for breast augmentation surgery

Glad you have found a surgeon you trust. The preop preparation is surgeon dependent. Most will have some similarities such as stopping blood thinners like Motrin or related drugs. I would recommend contacting your surgeon and they should have a packet of how they would like you to prepare.

Preparation for breast augmentation surgery

You should stop taking any substances that will "thin" your blood at least seven days prior to surgery these include supplements such as fish oil, vit e and garlic.  You should also not take Ibuprofen, Motrin, advil, Alieve.  Only tylenol for pain.   Make sure you have someone to stay with you the first 24hrs after surgery.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Instructions to follow after breast augmentation surgery

Your surgeon or their office staff should have given you a hand out prior to your surgery. Some basic instructions will most likely include the following guidelines. 

It is best to stop smoking a few months before surgery. 

Do not take any non-prescription medication or herbal supplements prior to surgery. 

Give your doctor a list of prescription medications that you take. 

Do not to eat after midnight the day before your surgery. 

Arrange  for a friend or family member to drive you home and stay with you after your surgery. 

Fill any post-surgery prescriptions for pain meds that your surgeon has given to you.  

Good luck with your surgery!

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for Breast Augmentation

Every doctor has a different set of pre-operative instructions. So, make sure that your surgeon's patient coordinator has sent you all of that information and that it all makes sense. I'm so glad to hear your excitement and congratulations on taking care of yourself -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

:)  Yes, it is a happy operation. We each have our own protocols we request patients to follow in order to get the best results. Once you have chosen a surgeon you need to follow that doctor's protocol, not something one of us, who has no idea of your physical or health status, might tell you. 

Preparing for breast augmentation

I recommend my patients stop smoking prior to surgery at least 2-3 months.  I also recommend to not take any aspirin, Aleve, Motrin, ibuprofen, fish oil or vitamin E at least 10 days prior to scheduled surgery.  It is always best to check with your plastic surgeon to verify.  Best of luck to you and thanks for your question!

Chad Robbins, MD

Preparation

Your surgeon most likely has a handout with the info you want.

Usually there is not much preparation. If you smoke, stop, hopefully a week or so before surgery.  Avoid medications that interfere with blood clotting--aspirin, motrin (ibuprofen), alleve (naproxen), and many others.  If your surgeon has no such list, you can find one on line. 

Congratulations on your decision, all the best. 

Preparation for breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for posting your question. Congratulations on finding the right plastic surgeon for your upcoming surgery. Many surgeons have a set of guidelines to help you prepare for surgery and recovery and it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. The basics will include:

Discontinue vitamins/ supplements/ herbals/ NSAIDS at least 2 weeks prior to surgery to help reduce complications with bleeding.

Discontinue smoking and use of all products containing nicotine at least 6 weeks prior to surgery.

Make sure you have adequate care of you, your children and/ or pets. 

Use these as a general guideline and consult with your plastic surgeon for more detailed information.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Basic Pre-Op instructions

No NSAIDs like aspirin, Aleve, Ibuprofen or motrin for 2 weeks prior. Stop Garlic, Vitamin E and Fish Oil 2 weeks prior as well. Start taking a daily multivitamin. Stop smoking, and drink in moderation. Most importantly setup child care for your post-op period. Not only will you not be able to care for your child for 3-5 days you will need an adult too look after you! What your surgeon does in the OR is important, but what you do or don't do during the healing period after surgery affects your result as much or more than the surgery itself. Best of luck!