Breast augmentation. Is there a certain size the surgeon will give me or could I pick how big I want to be?

Is there a certain size the surgeon will give me during the surgery or could I pick how big I want to be.Cause I really want to be a 44 DD cup.

Here is my opinion on the best way to #PickTheBestImplantForYou.  It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Implant Sizes

I always listen to the goals of my patients. I take measurements on my patients and make my recommendation based on their measurements and goals. It is important for patients to try on implant sizes, this gives the patient a good interpretation of what their outcome will be. When considering breast augmentation always look for a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I suggest implant size and shape based on the patient's measurements and what goals they are looking to achieve. I will give my clinical opinion based off of this discussion. We offer 3D imaging in our office to give the patient a visual of what the outcome may look like. I recommend speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon for individualized advice. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

How to select implant size.

What size implant is determined by many factors. One of those is your goal which you should make clear to your surgeon . Pictures from magazines are helpful, not because the doctor can duplicate what's in a picture ,but to help the surgeon understand your goals and to asses whether those goals are realistic.
Secondly , an always is of your anatomy is important as well. 
Your desire and your anatomy will all you and you doctor to focus on size.
Implants come in specific sizes and your specific anatomy will accommodate certain implant sides..somewhat like a shoe and a foot..

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Augment size

the size of your implants should involve an in depth discussion between you and your surgeon.  you tell your surgeon what you want, and he or she will give an expert opinion and guide you to achieve a safe realistic goal

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Its a matter of taste!

It is always important to consider the patient's wishes in planning breast augmentation surgery but all patients need guidance when it comes to "what fits in the skin", "what the body, frame will  tolerate" and the consequences of  going too large or  even too small. It takes a lot of experience and the patient should look for the surgeon's style and gallery of photos to determine if they are compatible. Good luck in your pursuit.

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Can I choose my size?

Plastic surgeons aim to deliver what a patient wants within reason of course. The number 44 is the circumference of your chest so this won't change much with an augmentation. What volume it would take to get you to DD depends on what size breast you start with. It's often impossible to go from an A to a DD in one surgery. I also usually limit my patients to the volume or cc size that will fit on their chest tastefully. This is all determined in a preoperative consultation. 

Which size is for me?

Hi and thanks for your question. It is good if you have an idea on what you want to look like, in your consultation you have to try external sizers and look at yourself so you can see what you want, after taking measures of your breasts and chest your surgeon will tell you which profile and volume is the right one for you. It is very important to follow this parameters so you have a good natural result.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Is there a certain size the surgeon will give me.

Breast augmentation is a personal decision and your goals and the look you wish for are the most important part is planing the best result for you. The size of the implant and profile is determined by your breast tissue, chest size and personal goals you have. Your surgeon will give you advice as to how close you can come and use the implant the he feels will get you what you are looking for.

How to Pick Implant Size for Breast Augmentation

Your goal of DD cup will be used to pick your implant size. It is hard to make someone a certain size exactly as bra makers are all different - at Victoria's Secret you may be one size and you would be a totally different size at Macy's. If you are currently a 44, you will be afterwards (this is the measurement around your chest wall, nothing to do with breast size). At our office, we use 3D imaging to try on different implant sizes and see if that implant size is what you are thinking of with 44DD in mind. Then we also have sizers that you can try on in your bra or with your clothes on to see what it would look like on you. Best wishes!