What is a "Liquid Facelift"?

I just lost 15 pounds after an accident that left me unable to move for months. 15 more pounds to go! When I smile, my jawline is beautiful. But when I'm looking straight forward with no smile or grin, there is noticeable wrinkles and "swelling" (like two balls on each side of my jawline). Can Botox slim/tighten this bulging?

What is a Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question.  A liquid facelift typically refers to the non-surgical rejuvenation as an alternative to a surgical facelift.  Our faces will 'deflate' with the aging process, i.e. we lose volume in our face.  In addition, we tend to lose support in our facial tissues in terms of loss of collagen, elastin and other support structures in our face.  The liquid facelift is most commonly a term that address the 'deflation' process by adding volume with dermal fillers.  Dermal fillers tend to have different longevity, but answering this question tends to be more nuanced.  Typically, people tend to see their results last anywhere from 6 months to a couples years depending on the product, how much was used and where it was placed. I often tell patients that a more appropriate way to think about it is the analogy of a glass of water. If you come to visit and the glass is 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty), then we need 3/4 of water to fill it up.  In six months, you may notice the glass is 3/4 full (i.e. you lost 1/4 of the glass volume).  At 1 year, you may notice that the glass is 1/2 full.  At 18-24 months, you may notice that you are back to where you started. In addition, patients are losing more volume as they age so some patients may get the impression that if they only do one treatment to fill the glass, then after a couple years they may feel like the glass is even more empty than when they first started. Most of my patients will come every 3-4 months for their Botox / Dysport treatments and we reassess their facial concerns.  It is fairly common to address a portion of the volume loss as they come in.  For example, if we did a cheek treatment last time, then we might address tear troughs this time.  The next time, we might address the temples or forehead/brows with dermal fillers.  The following time, we might do the lips and nasolabial folds or define the jawline.  Very commonly, if we are following this plan, we also 'touch up' areas that are starting to show the 3/4 full appearance.  At times, we do it all at once and then maintain with 'touch-up' treatments using far less volume every 6-12 months rather than wait until the glass is 1/4 full again. I would recommend that you visit with an experience board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help develop an aesthetic care plan for you. 

Nonsurgical facial contouring

Thank you for your question. Without photographs and more information it is impossible to make treatment recommendations. It is certainly possible that nonsurgical treatments could improve your facial appearance. These may include injectables and/or technology-based procedures. I would recommend consulting with a highly experienced surgeon in your area who is familiar with both surgical and nonsurgical rejuvenation techniques as well as injectables. Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

A Liquid Facelift is a Facelift without Surgery using Dermal Filler and Botox

Hi Tania,

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but happy to hear that your recovery is speeding up.

It sounds like what you need most is more definition added to your jawline. This can quickly and easily be accomplished through non-surgical chin augmentation. In this procedure, dermal fillers like Juvederm Voluma and Radiesse are placed along the chin area. However, in order to balance out this effect with the rest of your face, definition should be added to your cheeks as well. Check out the links I've attached for more information. Hope this helps!

Stay Beautiful,

Dr. Mabrie

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Technically, in the USA, Sculptra was the first product to market the term liquid facelift.  Sculptra is a collagen stimulator and not a filler by definition, Sculptra is PLLA = poly L lactic acid.

The fillers quickly followed suit using this misnomer for marketing.  Fillers are the hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm/Voluma/Restlane/Perlane) and have an instant effect, and are reversible.

The idea of both Sculptra and the fillers (Voluma is my favorite) is that they can create a more youthful appearing and "lifted" face without surgery.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question about liquid facelift. Pictures would be helpful.

Without picture, the answers that you are going to get will be speculative in nature.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

What is a liquid face lift

• I am so glad you have recovered but sorry you were in such a bad accdident.
  • A liquid face lift uses fillers to plump up the face to rejuvenate it.
  • It sounds as though your weight loss has made your face a bit gaunt.
  • If you are going to gain back the weight - don't do anything now because with more weight, you may look fine.
  • Botox is unlikely to help but fillers can - they pump up the areas where volume was lost.
  • A true liquid face lift uses about 5 syringes of filler and can be costly.
  • But you may not need so much.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question regarding liquid facelifts. I am sorry to hear about your accident. “Liquid facelifts” use facial fillers, also called dermal or soft tissue fillers, in conjunction with Botox or Dysport. Liquid facelift procedures have gained tremendous popularity for their ability to restore youthful fullness to the face without requiring surgery or downtime. Facial fillers can temporarily plump up the lips, enhance the curves and contours of your face, and soften facial creases while Botox® can eliminate wrinkles from the forehead, frown lines, and crow’s feet. Hope this helps!

“This answer has been solicited without seeing the patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a board certified plastic surgeon for appropriate care.”

What is a liquid facelift

A liquid facelift is a minimally invasive and nonsurgical procedure or combination of procedures to improve facial wrinkles, add volume to the face, and rejuvenate skin texture. Using dermal fillers and neuromodulators such as botox can improve wrinkles. Botox is typically not applied around the jawline for fear of a facial nerve chemical weakness and asymmetric smile. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is a "Liquid Facelift"?

I am sorry to hear you were injured.  As you are noticing when you lose weight, this can effect your facial contours.  A "liquid facelift" is a term referring to the use of Botox and fillers to help rejuvenate someone's face.  An expert can effectively "take years off of someone's face".  Without photos it is difficult to give an opinion as to exactly what you would need, but I can tell you that an expert can always use these tools to make an improvement.  I would recommend seeing a board-certified Dermatologist who is an expert injector for a consultation to learn what would work for you.  Good luck!

What is a "Liquid Facelift"?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your accident.  A liquid facelift is a popularized term for the combined use of fillers and botox to provide facial rejuvenation/enhancement.  Without a series of photographs, or an in-person assessment to determine what these two "swellings" are, it is difficult to tell you if Botox can help with this bulging.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for consultation, but below I am attaching a link that gives you more information about fillers.