What is a "Liquid Facelift"?

I just lost 15 pounds after an accident that left me unable to move for months. 15 more pounds to go! When I smile, my jawline is beautiful. But when I'm looking straight forward with no smile or grin, there is noticeable wrinkles and "swelling" (like two balls on each side of my jawline). Can Botox slim/tighten this bulging?

What is liquid facelift?

Hi Tania- Thank you for your question. Liquid facelift consists of using non surgical modalities such as fillers (to correct the volume loss that occurs with aging), botox (to correct the lines and wrinkles), and kybella (to correct double chin) for facial rejuvenation. In the right patient, this combination can provide very good outcome without the need to undergo surgical Facelift. I hope this helps. Best wishes!

Bowling Green Physician

What is a "Liquid Facelift"?

Thanks Tania. 

A liquid facelift consist of using a combination of injectable medications such as dermal fillers (Restyane, Juvederm, Belotero) and neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport) to improve the appearance of the face and neck. This is performed in the office and the results are very natural adding volume where it has been lost and relaxing muscles which cause wrinkles to form. 

The results are not as aggressive as surgery, but there's also very little recovery and it is less expensive than most surgery procedures on the face.

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Liquid FaceLift

Thank you for your question. Liquid Facelift helps restore your face’s naturally young and healthy appearance. The treatment uses dermal fillers such as Restylane and Bellafill which help your wrinkles dissipate and any sunken areas of your face. Results will typically last for 9-12 months. For more information, please get a in person consultation from a board-certified dermatologist. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Liquid Facelift

Thanks for your question. A liquid facelift is a procedure where dermal fillers, typically Hyaluronic Acid (Juvederm or Restylane) are used to re-volumize areas of volume loss.  After significant weight loss, volume loss in the face can give a person a more aged appearance, thought without photographs it is difficult to determine exactly what is going on. There are plenty of non-surgical as well as surgical options for everyone and the best course is to seek out a board certified facial plastic surgeon who has an in-depth knowledge and experience with all the various techniques to give you the specific and tailored refreshment you are seeking! Best of luck!

Lesley Rabach, MD

What is a Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question.  A liquid facelift typically refers to the non-surgical rejuvenation as an alternative to a surgical facelift.  Our faces will 'deflate' with the aging process, i.e. we lose volume in our face.  In addition, we tend to lose support in our facial tissues in terms of loss of collagen, elastin and other support structures in our face.  The liquid facelift is most commonly a term that address the 'deflation' process by adding volume with dermal fillers.  Dermal fillers tend to have different longevity, but answering this question tends to be more nuanced.  Typically, people tend to see their results last anywhere from 6 months to a couples years depending on the product, how much was used and where it was placed. I often tell patients that a more appropriate way to think about it is the analogy of a glass of water. If you come to visit and the glass is 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty), then we need 3/4 of water to fill it up.  In six months, you may notice the glass is 3/4 full (i.e. you lost 1/4 of the glass volume).  At 1 year, you may notice that the glass is 1/2 full.  At 18-24 months, you may notice that you are back to where you started. In addition, patients are losing more volume as they age so some patients may get the impression that if they only do one treatment to fill the glass, then after a couple years they may feel like the glass is even more empty than when they first started. Most of my patients will come every 3-4 months for their Botox / Dysport treatments and we reassess their facial concerns.  It is fairly common to address a portion of the volume loss as they come in.  For example, if we did a cheek treatment last time, then we might address tear troughs this time.  The next time, we might address the temples or forehead/brows with dermal fillers.  The following time, we might do the lips and nasolabial folds or define the jawline.  Very commonly, if we are following this plan, we also 'touch up' areas that are starting to show the 3/4 full appearance.  At times, we do it all at once and then maintain with 'touch-up' treatments using far less volume every 6-12 months rather than wait until the glass is 1/4 full again. I would recommend that you visit with an experience board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help develop an aesthetic care plan for you. 

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Nonsurgical facial contouring

Thank you for your question. Without photographs and more information it is impossible to make treatment recommendations. It is certainly possible that nonsurgical treatments could improve your facial appearance. These may include injectables and/or technology-based procedures. I would recommend consulting with a highly experienced surgeon in your area who is familiar with both surgical and nonsurgical rejuvenation techniques as well as injectables. Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

A Liquid Facelift is a Facelift without Surgery using Dermal Filler and Botox

Hi Tania,

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but happy to hear that your recovery is speeding up.

It sounds like what you need most is more definition added to your jawline. This can quickly and easily be accomplished through non-surgical chin augmentation. In this procedure, dermal fillers like Juvederm Voluma and Radiesse are placed along the chin area. However, in order to balance out this effect with the rest of your face, definition should be added to your cheeks as well. Check out the links I've attached for more information. Hope this helps!

Stay Beautiful,

Dr. Mabrie

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Technically, in the USA, Sculptra was the first product to market the term liquid facelift.  Sculptra is a collagen stimulator and not a filler by definition, Sculptra is PLLA = poly L lactic acid.

The fillers quickly followed suit using this misnomer for marketing.  Fillers are the hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm/Voluma/Restlane/Perlane) and have an instant effect, and are reversible.

The idea of both Sculptra and the fillers (Voluma is my favorite) is that they can create a more youthful appearing and "lifted" face without surgery.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Thank you for your question about liquid facelift. Pictures would be helpful.

Without picture, the answers that you are going to get will be speculative in nature.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

What is a liquid face lift

• I am so glad you have recovered but sorry you were in such a bad accdident.
  • A liquid face lift uses fillers to plump up the face to rejuvenate it.
  • It sounds as though your weight loss has made your face a bit gaunt.
  • If you are going to gain back the weight - don't do anything now because with more weight, you may look fine.
  • Botox is unlikely to help but fillers can - they pump up the areas where volume was lost.
  • A true liquid face lift uses about 5 syringes of filler and can be costly.
  • But you may not need so much.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD