How can I prevent pronounced areolas?

Both my sister and I inherited very large breasts. My sister had a breast reduction a few years ao and I've noticed that her areolas are very pronounced (They poke through her shirt when she is not wearing a bra and even sometimes when she is wearing one). I am looking into a reduction to relieve my shoulder and back and I want to know if this is an inevitable thing that happens or does it depend on the surgeon? My sister did not use any treatments over her scars.

Breast Reduction

This is not a reflection of the surgeon as much as it is a reflection of your own skin and tissue elasticity.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Nipples?

do you mean the nipples are poking through?  The areoles are commonly reduced with a breast reduction. The nipples can be reduced as well.

Pronounced areolas.

Usually the areola is smooth and flat and it is the nipple that projects.  If it is the nipple there are good and simple techniques for nipple reduction.

When I have seen a prominent areola in my experience it is usually in a patient who has made a thicker scar around the areolar incision making it stand out from the breast tissue. Thicker or hypertrophic scars are genetic and are more common in dark skinned patients. Because the cause is genetic your surgeon may not be able to prevent it.

I think it is always important to share your concerns with your PS. If your sister has hypertrophic scars it does not guarantee that you will too, but you need to be prepared for the possibility just in case.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon