Should I be worried about a runny, bloody nose the day I had my cast off?

I got my cast off today, 8 days after the surgery. One nostril is still very runny and the mucus coming out seems to have blood in it. Is this a sign of concern, what can I do to minimize it when I start school in 3 days?

Nasal drainage following rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for the question. Drainage following a rhinoplasty is to be expected commonly lasts a week or more.  I suggest following up with your physician to ensure that you are healing well.Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Post op nasal drainage

Sounds like you go back to school today so it may be a bit delayed for an answer. But it is very common to have either mucous or blood for a week or so after surgery.  It depends on what was done to your septum or turbinates, or if you had your nose fractured (osteotomy) as part of your surgery.  All of those steps create areas that need to heal, and would routinely give you congestion, drainage, or spotting of blood.The best care right now is hydration.  You can achieve that with a neti pot or sinucleanse, which is a salt water decanter that helps rinse and rehydrate your nose.  Or if you are looking for a more convenient answer, just push large volumes of nasal saline.  Usually I ask my patients to avoid any antihistamines, decongestants, or nasal sprays like steroids or afrin for at least one month.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Runny, bloody nose after rhinoplasty

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have as they are the ones who know your medical history and surgery best. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with them so they can perform a physical examination of your nose. Drainage can be common after rhinoplasty and the blood present in it could just be old blood coming out with the drainage. Keep an eye on the amount of drainage and blood and if it persists or gets worse, call your surgeon immediately as it may be a sign of some sort of complication. I hope this helps. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nasal drainage

It is fairly common to have some nasal drainage after rhinoplasty.  You are best to discuss this with your surgeon.