Smoking before Breast Augmentation?

I quit smoking cigarettes 3+ weeks ago for my Breast augmentation but I've still smoked Marijuana daily. I feel like I should have quit sooner now but my surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm worried and questioning if this will affect anything? And what about after surgery as well? Thank you.

Smoking before Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Smoking before or after surgery still can cause complications. It is best to stop smoking to have a smooth recovery. Smoking can also delay the healing process. It is best to listen to all of your plastic surgeons post care instructions. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and BA

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Smoking before or after your surgery can increase your risk of developing complications including infection and wound healing problems. I tell my patients that it is ideal to stop a couple months ahead of surgery and then for a couple months after surgery. Please discuss with your surgeon what their guidelines are for your particular surgery.

Smoking and surgery

Smoking can cause healing problems post op. I ask my patients to stop smoking two weeks before and after surgery. Please ask your chosen surgeon directly.

Smoking before surgery

Smoking cigarettes can cause poor wound healing, opening of incisions and other issues. Marijuana might interfere with anesthesia. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon and consider delaying the surgery.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Smoking bad for breasts.

Hello perfectbaby4you. Smoking is bad for all surgery. It increases complications and makes surgery more risky. It is best to stop ASAP ahead of your BAM. The MJ can interact with anesthesia and pain meds, etc... You should avoid using. Good luck, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Smoking before BBA

Thanks for your question.  I would recommend discussing use of tobacco, marijuana and other drugs with your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist prior to surgery so they can discuss the possible impact on wound healing, your general anesthetic, and other issues.

Smoking before Breast Augmentation

Hi... thank you for the question.... you should inform your PS about the use of any substance you use...  

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Smoking before breast augmentation...

Thank you for your question. Smoking can cause delayed wound healing. Please speak with your surgeon regarding your concern. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Smoking Before Breast Augmentation

Greetings. Stopping the use of cigarettes is a good thing.  You should inform your surgeon of your use of marijuana before the surgery takes place.  Also, smoking anything after surgery is not a good idea. Best wishes.

Ravinder Jarial, DO