Best Way to Go About the Ptosis in Left Eye? (photo)

I'm 26 and have ptosis in my left lid. Ive always had a weak left eye but over the past 2 years its gotten progressively worse and can't stand the way I look because of it. What would you recommend I do as my picture is below? Thanks for the help!

Doctor Answers 5

Oculoplastic surgeon for ptosis

For ptosis, you would require surgery to repair it. An oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in this area would be the best physician to see.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Eyelid Droop / Ptosis

Clearly your left upper lid is drooping or ptotic.  However, your right upper lid may droop after the left lid is surgically raised.  Your physician can elevate your left lid with an eye drop to see if your right upper lid droops.  This will simulate what will happen after surgical correction of the left upper lid.  The eyelid, or eyelids if need be, can be raised either from the inside of the eyelid without an incision, or through the skin.  Both techniques should render a good result based on your photos.  Good luck.  I encourage you to see an oculo-facial plastic surgeon in your area for a detailed consultation.

Steven J. Covici, MD
Springfield Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Ptosis surgery

You have left upper eyelid ptosis and can benefit from ptosis surgery. There are different techniques.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Eyelid ptosis

Your left eyelid ptosis is prominent and you should get a professional exam. In my past, eyelid ptosis is due to muscle weakness in your age group. This can be improved externally, or internally. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Eyelid Ptosis

Based on your photo, you actually have bilateral, though asymmetric eyelid ptosis.

Your right eyelid is slightly lower than what we would consider the aesthetic ideal, and the left eye is obviously slightly worse. There are two main techniques for raising the eyelid: internal approach [no skin incision] vs external approach [with skin incision]. I would lean toward an internal approach, though you would need testing to see whether you are a good candidate.

Furthermore your photo shows that your lower eyelids are slightly retracted [lower] than they should be also. [The self photo may be exaggerating this so an inperson evaluation is needed. Some patients that just have the upper lid ptosis corrected without addressing the lower lid retraction, may end up with dry eye symptoms.

I have linked a photo of someone with both upper eyelid ptosis and lower eyelid retraction which illustrates my point.

I would recommend a consultation with an ASOPRS trained oculoplastic surgeon. You can find one close to you at asoprs dot org

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.