Is there a risk of unevenness if two CoolMax applicators are applied to the abdominal area?

My Coolsculpting consultant recommended two CoolMax applicators for the abdomen. I'm hoping to only do one treatment because of price. I'm afraid there will be unevenness between areas where they're applied and unevenness between my upper abdomen and lower abdomen. The applicators will be applied in a V shape, with an emphasis on the lower abdomen. Based on your experience, have you ever had a patient that had two CoolMax applicators for the abdominal area? If so, were the results pleasant?

Coolsculpting for Abdomen

The CoolMax is used for "de bulking" while the smaller applicators are used for more precise body sculpting and smaller areas.  My first piece of advice is to always seek at least 2 opinions for any aesthetic service.  If you've done that and you've gotten a similar recommendation, then I would choose the provider with the most experience.  Applicator placement and technician experience play a significant role in patient outcomes and your ultimate happiness.  With an experienced provider, the likelihood of "unevenness" is small, but is quite honestly always a slight possibility.  This is the same with traditional invasive procedures such as tumescent liposuction.  I hope this helped to answer your questions.  Best of luck to you, Doc Halliday

Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Using the CoolMax in the V Shape can be very effective as long as the applicators fit on your body properly. Smaller head pieces can be used after to help "sculpt" the area. Best wishes. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Coolmax

Hi Brownsforlife,

It really depends on the training and skill of the person applying the Coolmax applicators. As you know, there are multiple applicators available in the Coolsculpting range and it is up to the skill and experience of the person doing the Coolsculpting to firstly note if there are any pre-existing areas of unevenness and to use their skill, knowledge and experience to even these out as well as not contribute to any areas of unevenness.

Dr Nettle

Unevenness with 2 applications side by side?

Hello, If the applicators are properly placed, there is very small chance of unevenness.  With the large "CoolMax" applicator, it sometimes can not be used, as it is more strait across and hip bones can get in the way.  When the patients fat is more circular (basketball shape) than multiple applications can actually be an excellent option for treating the area, almost in a diamond shape surrounding the navel. We use 2 applications a majority of the time. Once there is fat reduction in the lower abdomen, it makes the upper abdomen look even more pronounced.  Because CoolSculpting is literally "sculpting" the body, it is important to not short sell the patient in order to provide smooth even sculpting. In order to really WOW that patient, multiple applications are usually necessary.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating the abdomen

It is not uncommon to do two applicators on the abdomen in a V pattern--some of those patients do require the larger CoolMax applicator. As long as the applicators are placed correctly (which may or may not involve some degree of overlap) you should be fine.  If you have a significant amount of fat to treat, you may not be satisfied with just one treatment. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolscupting Results and Unevenness

I see patients everyday that I revise with hi definition liposuction who have irregularities from coolsculpting. I suggest you get an acurate number of treamtent sesions and applicatiors to give you the type of result you are looking for.  Often I find pateints need many more than they are told.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Uneven Results With CoolSculpting Applicators

If your physician is experienced with CoolSculpting treatments then he/she will know exactly which applicators to use and where to apply them to give you nice, even results. Any asymmetries that exist before the treatment should be noted and pointed out to you. When using two applicators side by side there always is a small chance that one area may lose more fat that the other. All of this should be communicated to you prior to your treatment. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Two applicators for the abdomen

We often use two small applicators for the abdomen.  It is really necessary to examine you in person to see which set of applicators is needed and determine the best placement for your treatment. Best, Dr. Green

Two CoolMax applicators

The risk of uneven results with 2 CoolMax applicators when performing the Coolsculpt procedure, depends on the person who is applying the applicators. The human body does not have "even" fat distribution to begin with, and during your consultation, these pockets/areas of highest fat accumulation were measured out and marked for applicator placement. The idea of putting 2 applicators at one time is to save the patient time and give you good results- that means there enough fat there to warrant 2 applicators.