Restylane injection in lips. Looks unusually swollen. Should I be worried? (Photo)

Although I have had injections several times over the past five years, this is the first time I have felt this much pain after teo days. Also, there is a line going through my bottom lip. Dry blood, a bruise. Should I be worried.

Restylane

It is common to have swelling after a filler is injected, especially to the lips. If the pain and swelling are concerning to you  I would certainly have your physician take a look at it.

Not feeling good after filler

You should call the doctor that did your filler and have them take a look at you. I would not wait if you are that uncomfrtable.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

I think you need to wait a little and see what happnes

It might be a larger bruise. Sometime it happens. The hematoma or larger bruise can be painful and create uneven swelling in the lip. It may take one week to 10 days for it to resolve and it can appear more as the time goes. 

Restylane and swelling

If you are feeling an unusual amount of swelling or pain I would definitely return at once to your treating physician for examination.  The injections can be reversed with Vitrase.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It is common to get swelling after fillers into the lips. It is not normal to have irregularities or severe swelling. If you are unhappy you should speak to your physician and have the area injected with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that reverses the hyaluronic acid filler. For the next injections, consider Restylane Silk with cannula injection, this technique will limit the pain, swelling or bruising after the filler placement. It often takes up to two weeks for swelling to subside on its own. Find an expert in filler injections for your future treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lips and fillers

Lips tend to swell more than any other area I treat.  Often it takes about a week or so to settle. If concerned, speak with you doctor.

Restylane in lips with a lot of swelling

Your lips look extremely swollen and the "line" running across your lip is watery type of swelling that should go away in a couple of weeks. If the lips still look big after another two weeks then it is possible too much Restylane was injected but if the same amount was injected this time as you usually have, then the swelling can be treated by having Hyaluronidase injected in both lips.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon