Can I remove the dried blood/clot causing me discomfort 4 days in? How?

I had my nose done on Thursday, it is now Sunday. I still need to wear the drip pad, especially at night. I had to go to the ER after surgery due to excessive bleeding and pain in my head. The nurse at the ER told me that since there was a blood clot, mucus in my nose was bringing blood with it, and after the clot was removed, I would be experiencing much less drainage. Can I remove this on my own, if so, how?

Blood clot removal

Thank you for your question.I would not instruct a patient to do this themselves. Consult with your surgeon and have him remove it as you may cause some damage trying to do it yourself. In the meantime, I would recommend you apply mupirocin ointment 4x a day to soften the clot and make it easier for your surgeon to remove it. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and post-op

I am not sure why you ran to the ER. Where is your surgeon?  You should discuss this type of care with you surgeon. Good luck.