Is microaire Lipo for male breast reduction usually sufficient?

What percentage of males only require Lipo and not glandular excision? I'm only 19 and had Only Lipo on my chest done about a week ago. How long before I should decide for revision? Thank you doctors.

Technique Options Available for Male Breast Reduction

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. 

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. Your plastic surgeon may recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and which techniques are are best for your type of gynecomastia.

Liposuction alone for Gynecomastia??

Hello. In general, I prefer to treat patients that are less than 30 years of age with direct visual excision of breast gland and fat through a periareolar incision of skin resection procedures are not necessary. This is because younger patients have a Glandular component that gives volume and does not come out with Liposuction alone. I would wait three months to see the final result and consult my surgeon to get his or her expert opinion.

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Lipo for male breast reduction

Must of the time with liposction only you get the results that you want. Have to wait for at least 5-6 weeks or until de swelling goes down. Good Luck

Jose Hungria, MD

Lipo and gynecomastia

In many cases, liposuction can treat a fatty chest. If there is true glandular tissue, often this is not amenable to lipo.  I will say that I often do the lipo first when I am not sure and will stage the direct excision of the subareola glandular component at a later time to be safe. Many times it is not necessary to perform a direct excision.

it usually depends on your doctors pre op examination and what he saw after having done the liposuction on the table.
Any way now is not a time to worry
give yourself atleast 6 months before contemplating revision.
if you were operated upon by a plastic surgeon you can better get back to him

Did your doctor evaluate you for glandular elements before surgery?
Did you/do you have symptoms (pain/tenderness/swelling) of glandular elements?
Are you thin or do you have extra fat elsewhere?

Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. For males who have true gynecomastia, liposuction alone usually is not enough. Most will require the excision of the hard, glandular tissue around the nipple. However, if you have just excess body fat in the chest area (called pseudo-gynecomastia) then liposuction alone may be adequate. I would wait 2 to 3 months to allow the swelling to go down and then judge the results. Best wishes.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon