I am interested in a upper and lower blepharoplasty with eye bag removal. What is the most common anesthesia used for this proc?

Anesthetic choice

Thanks for your question. The upper eyelids can usually be done in an office setting using just local anesthesia. The lower lids, however, are a bit more complicated and can be more uncomfortable without some deeper sedation. That, unfortunately, also means that lower eyelid surgery tends to be more expensive. The most important thing is safety though. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Common anesthesia for upper and lower eyelid lift #eyelid lift #blepharoplasty

There are three types of anesthesia that could be used.  Conscious sedation, general anesthesia or a local anesthetic injection.  I have used all three with great results.  Talk with your plastic surgeon to see what he recommends.  Many people prefer to be completely "out" when they have their surgery, others don't mind being awake with a little bit of local anesthetic.  All three ways will have the same results.  Its just a matter of what you are comfortable with.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

#EyelidSurgery - most common anesthesia

This is normally performed under local anesthesia, often with some light sedation.  If it's a smaller procedure on just the upper eyelids, local anesthesia can be used without sedation (each situation and doctor is different, so you'll have to see how the doctor you choose prefers to perform it) while lower lid procedures are more likely to require sedation.  That is both for comfort and to be able to control some excess bleeding, in the event that that occurs during the procedure.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Blepharoplasty anesthesia

We perform upper and lower blepharoplasty under IV sedation/Twilight anesthesia. Upper eyelids can be done with local or IV sedation. Lower bleph only IV sedation. We find it is more comfortable for our patients to perform lower lid blephs under IV sedation. We do not use general anesthesia in any eyelid surgery.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for upper and lower blepharoplasty

i have performed both these procedures under local anesthesia with oral sedation for many years. Patients generally tolerate it very well. 

Stephen Fink, DO FAOCO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Blepahroplasty can be done under almost any type of anesthesia.  It really depends upon the patient, the extent of the procedure and surgeon preference.  Most commonly it is done under general or sedation.

Upper and lower lid blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia

Thanks for sharing.  I perform upper and lower lid blepharoplasty under local anesthesia and oral sedation such as valium in an accredited surgery center. I have performed thousands of facial cosmetic procedures this way and believe this method is safer and easier to recover.  In experienced hands you will comfortable with this method. Another plus is that it is less expensive. Ultimately there is no correct method but what is most comfortable between you and your surgeon. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Anesthesia for eyelid procedures

As you can see, the anesthesia preference is dependent on surgeon preference, nothing to do with results or outcomes. 

I perform all my blepharoplasties under local anesthesia.... why? because I can and my patents appreciate not feeling the after effects of the anesthesia that is used for IV sedation or general anesthesia. 

Your comfort level will depend on the surgeons ability to anesthetize and your general overall confidence in your surgeon. If you have an anesthesia preference, have a frank discussion with your surgeon and decide from there. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

General anesthesia her upper and lower eyelid surgery

In our practice, we perform upper and lower eyelid surgery under general anesthesia in a licensed certified outpatient surgery Center by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort. The fatty deposits in the upper and lower lids have deep pain fibers associated with them and are very uncomfortable and painful to remove when patients are awake. When patient's desire only an upper blepharoplasty, this can be performed under local anesthesia quite easily. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

I am interested in a upper and lower blepharoplasty with eye bag removal. What is the most common anesthesia used for this

I have performed many upper and lower Blepharoplasties over the past 30 years, most under general sedation although I have performed both under local anesthesia as well.  It depends on how aware of the procedure you are willing to be.  Local cases are aware of what's going on while a general sedation makes you completely unaware.  Hope this helps.