Drainage numbers remain much higher than others report. (Photo)

Six days from surgery. I have one drain, my first day I drained 600 ml. Today it is down to 380, a far cry from 35-50. I am on drugs for fibromyalgia ( Savella and Etodalac), could this be why the numbers are high?

Drainage following Surgery

I would seek an evaluation based on the amount of drainage and the appearance of your photo. You don't mention what the drainage looks like but you definitely need to be seen. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Drainage numbers remain much higher than others report

It may be better to tell your surgeon about the drain output since they would know more about the specifics of your case. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Drainage numbers remain much higher than others report.

If there is something that is not normal taking place, you need to contact your surgeon.

Excessive fluid in drains

I would definitely suggest that you schedule an appointment to see your surgeon asap. I always think it best to err on the side of caution.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Etodalac can increase bleeding

Thank you for your question. You are absolutely having more bleeding after surgery than normal. It is likely that your drain will have to stay in for a while. At six days out, you are mostly draining blood that built up in the first day or two after surgery that the drains could not handle.  Etodalc is and NSAID  and likely would have been beneficial to stop for two weeks before surgery. Not sure that it makes a difference now.  With that much blood loss, you may be anemic and therefore should have your blood count checked and you may need to be put on iron supplements.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon and let him/her know if you drain stops working or you have swelling, fevers or chills. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Fluid drainage

The amount of drainage you are having is extremely high. You should review this with your surgeon he probably will want to see you to make sure you do not have a hematoma or have active bleeding.