Concerns regarding breast implants.. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm going to get a mommy makeover in the near future and my procedures include a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. I want more children in the future and am concerned about breastfeeding and nipple sensitivity. I have extremely sensitive nipples as well that contribute greatly to my sex life (not to sound vulgar). What advice can you give to bring up to my surgeon so that I can keep my nipple sensitivity and for my surgery to not effect my mammary glands? Thank you in advance! Pic for attn..

Breast implant concerns

First off, if you plan to have more children in the future is is probably best to delay surgery until you are done having kids. Pregnancy will cause changes to both your tummy and your breasts and may cause the need for more surgery to achieve the look you desire. Breast feeding and nipple sensitivity can be affected by augmentation. When you're ready to have surgery discuss these issues with your surgeon. Although many women retain the ability to breast feed and have nipple sensation after augmentation, some do not. If the risk of losing either one outweighs the benefit of surgery in your mind you should not have surgery. 

Concerns regarding breast implants.. Any suggestions?

Studies have shown that 15% of women who have breast augmentation have some decrease in nipple sensation at least on a temporary basis.  Usually sensation returns.  There is however a 5% risk of permanent loss of nipple sensitivity.Loss of nipple sensitivity is more common when a trans-areolar incision is used to perform breast augmentation.To decrease the risk of interference with sensation of the nipple after breast augmentation a submuscular or dual plane breast augmentation through an inframammary crease incision, through the fold underneath her breast for the best options to reduce the risk.

Nipple sensitivity

I would recommend that you bring this exact topic up with your surgeon. I found, in my experience, that a smaller implant which also weighs less will put less pressure on the nerves going to the nipple that are certainly under some degree of stretch after  placing a breast implant. While no one can promise 100% that no nerve injury will take place, it's reassuring to know that most of these will resolve within a few months. Best of luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover!

Hello! I think you are fine to have the breast augmentation, and you will love this! From the looks of your photo- it looks like you just need filled up-- no lift! For the abdomen, if you are even thinking about another child, I would wait. It is not a good idea to do the tummy tuck unless  you are for sure-- not having any more children. And while you can, it will stretch it all out and be Very hard to repair. Good luck!

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Don't go too big!

Honestly, if you would be devastated with losing the feeling in your nipples after surgery, then don't do it!  The risk is low, but in general it is 1-5%.  The larger the implant, the greater the risk. Some feel that the periareolar incision carries a higher risk but that's not been my experience.  I feel it has more to do with size -- the bigger the implant, the more stretch there is on the nerve.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Concerns regarding breast implants

Breast feeding is a difficult and complex event that affects all women and specifically their breasts differently. The one thing it will not change is the implant itself, which will have the same characteristics as when if was first place. For example, if your breasts grow several sizes with pregnancy and breast feeding or you gain substantial weight then it is very likely you will have sagging afterwards and benefit from a breast lift or other mommy makeover procedures.

Mommy makeover including breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question.  From your single photograph I am not sure that you are in need of a tummy tuck at this stage although you would clearly benefit from placement of breast implants.  Consider the changes that naturally occur after childbirth in both breasts and tummy before making the investment in a mommy makeover at this point in time.  The good news is that a tummy tuck would not prevent you from becoming pregnant but the quality of the result will be diminished once your stomach is stretched by another pregnancy.  Perhaps this is the time for you to proceed or perhaps you would be better off awaiting completion of your family plans.
In my experience only 20% of patients have normal nipple sensation immediately after surgery however in the vast majority nearly complete or complete sensation returns within 3 to 6 months.  There is no guarantee however and certainly the larger the implant the more stress is placed on the stretched nerves and the greater the risk of loss of feeling.  The good news however is that it is very rare my experience to see someone have a complete loss of sensation.  Breast-feeding is usually not affected by the placement of breast implants although a periareolar incision (my preferred approach for many) does cut some of the nipple docs possibly making it more difficult to initiate breast-feeding.  An alternative that does not leave the often visible scar in the inframammary position is a transaxillary approach and you may be a good candidate to consider this.
Think your options over carefully and meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to see whether this is an appropriate time for you to proceed with the surgery.  Best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Implants

There is no guarantee that your nipples will have normal sensation after surgery.  Most patients do.  It might be best to go through an inframammary incision.

Mommy makeover

Dear blkmompostbabies,
Unfortunately, loss of, or decrease in sensation of the nipple/areolar complex is one of the risks of breast surgery, including augmentation.  You must accept this as a fact before you proceed with your surgery.  Also, it would be best to defer your makeover until after you have finished with childbirth.  Inability to breast feed after breast surgery is another unfortunate possible consequence.  In addition, your tummy tuck results would suffer.  Good luck!

If you are planning on any more children in the future then you for sure need to hold off on a mommy makeover. Becoming pregnant post mommy makeover will require a revision surgery because it will stretch out all of your results from both the breasts and the tummy tuck.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon