I had BA AND LIFT, abdominoplasty and umbilical hernia repair oct 1. when can I carry my 20 lb, 18 month old baby?

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Children

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Get the okay from your surgeon before engaging in lifting activity after mommy makeover.

In my practice you would be allowed to lift 20 pounds as soon as comfortable after a mommy makeover. This would probably be about two weeks. Nevertheless this is a question best addressed to your surgeon.

Carrying baby

In my practice it would be at about 6 weeks.  Every surgeon and every patient is different.  Please check with your surgeon to see what his/her recommendations are in your case.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Our policy is 6 weeks but this is really a question for your surgeon not us

each surgeon has a different protocol. You should speak to your surgeon for instructions on what you can and cannot do

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lifting & exercising after tummy tuck

This is something that you should clarify with your operating surgeon's office.

Our policy is to limit lifting of anything weighing more than 15-20 lbs for the first three weeks.  We don't want you to "pop" sutures or cause yourself a problem, like an effort-related hematoma.

We let you resume non-abdominal exercises at 6 weeks, and abdominal work-outs at 3 months.

After a TT

The TT is the limiting factor.  I want the muscles to be healed sufficiently, which takes about 6 weeks for most patients. Without any special factors, you can lift about 20 pounds until then.  Learn to lift with your legs and not your abdominal muscles so much.  The 6 weeks will pass by quickly!

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Post BA and lift

This is definitely a question I would ask your plastic surgeon as everyone has different post-op instructions. How you heal in the first several weeks can also impact the decisions. Check with you plastic surgeon for specifics. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Carrying baby post Mommy Makeover

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Typically, most surgeons would suggest approximately 6 weeks to resume more strenuous exercise or lift heavier weights. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Significant lifting after tummy tuck/hernia repair

Thank you for your question.  I generally recommend to my patients to avoid lifting more than 10-15 pounds for at least 6 weeks.  At one month, cardio is generally ok.   For breast augmentation patients with submuscular implants, I advise that they avoid contracting the pectoralis (chest) muscles for 2 months.  Similarly, for tummy tuck patients, I would advise two months before engaging in active core exercises.  Make sure you check with your surgeon to confirm their preferences.  Good luck. 

As you know the tummy tuck operation is a major operation;  every patient experiences a different recovery course. This makes it difficult to discuss “general rules of thumb”.

I would suggest planning for the worst-case scenario which will hopefully be about 6 weeks away from child care activities. Your  plastic surgeon will help guide you  with activity level depending on how your recovery proceeds.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.