What is wrong with my nose? (Photos)

how do I fix it? I'm super insecure about it,it's looks good from a frontal view but a side view of it is horrendous. I'm super insecure about it, my ex boyfriend literally used to bully about it

What is wrong with my nose?

Thank you for your question. If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation

Hooked nose with a large dorsal hump is nor an abnormailty. It is a normal type of nose. However, if you do not satisfy, you can undergo Rhinoplasty to enhance a characteristic of your nose and smoothening your nose shape.

Based on your photos, I would recommend you do nasal bone reduction and modifying nasal cartilage. You may also consider getting a nose implant with goretex or silicone to get a better and softer nose shape.

Tanongsak Panyawirunroj, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty although, I do recommend submitting frontal photographs. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

What is wrong with my nose?

On side view you have what is referred to as a "dorsal hump/bump".  This is easily fixed with a rhinoplasty.  Additionally the contour from your nasal tip to upper lip lacks feminine refinement, and this can be improved as well. You can see the results of young female patients who underwent similar surgeries on my Profile page.

If your nose is a distraction to you when you look in the mirror, or when you see yourself in photos and you find that it's a source of concern for you, than you have realistic motivations for rhinoplasty. 

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty to address these concerns. Do your homework and seek out a consultation with a Board-Certified Facial Plastic or General Plastic Surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasty.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

First of all, nothing is "wrong" with your nose.  You are a lovely young woman! 

However, if you would like to change the appearance of your nose, I would suggest a few things. The most obvious thing I see on the side view is that there is a hump on the bridge of your nose.  Also, your nose droops a bit when you smile.  There are a few other changes that may help improve the appearance of the nose that we could tell in person.  All these can be corrected by rhinoplasty.

Best of Luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

What's wrong with my nose

Firstly there is a good sized convexity on the bridge. The columella is crowding your upper lip and the nose hooks when you smile. You may also need some tip projection.

A good rhinoplastic surgeon should be able to do a closed rhinoplasty to turn this into a much prettier nose.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

Jenn, thank you for your pictures.  You have a slight dorsal hump and a hanging columella from the profile pictures.  This can be addressed with a closed rhinoplasty - which would dramatically decrease the amount of swelling as well as how quickly you bounce back and start the healing process.  The key would be to give you a nose that fits the rest of your face - such that the rest of your facial features are accentuated.  Natural results are the most important! The most important thing here is to make sure that these are all changes that you would like to see - don't let someone else's flawed perception of you affect who you are.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

From the limited side profile photographs, it appears that there is a large dorsal hump and a hanging columella. Both of these issues can be addressed with a closed rhinoplasty approach by making all the incisions on the inside of the nose. For more information and many examples of noses similar to your own, please see the link and the video below

What's wrong with my nose?

You appear to have a small dorsal hump and your tip support is not strong causing you to have plunging and drooping on smiling. You may also have some imbalance with your chin as well.

While all these things can be corrected with rhinoplasty be absolutely certain that you are doing this for yourself, not because of someone else criticism who is no longer in your life.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is wrong with my nose?

Although your photos are limited, it appears that you would benefit significantly from a Rhinoplasty. There are certain relationships within your nose that if changed-appropriately- would give you a much more elegant looking nose. Changing one element of the nose will require each an every aspect to be addressed. There is nothing simple about Rhinoplasty. It is a surgery of millimeters and in my opinion- can be done in your case- utilizing the closed technique and therefore avoiding a scar across your columella, the tissue between the nostrils. Again, in the right hands- you should expect a very elegant looking nose. For more info re/how to choose the right Rhinoplasty Surgeon- please view the video attached