Procedure Sep 13. Infection. Low hemogoblin and red blood cell. Low strength, tired. Pan is inflamed like before surgery (Photo)

I was told I had infection given bactrum.My belly looks like a shark bite.why does it look like it's getting fat like pouch pan again?! I was told hemagoblin is low enough for concerns by 1 dr. I'm sooo tired I can really sleep 24 hours. Surgeon said low hemagoblin was from infection.a week later I was told Swab test was neg. no infection! I still have right drain in.. Will my pan get flat again?0. why is my pan all big again?! It was flat.. What do I do? I liked better after surgery than now!

Trouble Healing 1 Month Post-Op

I do not use drains any more with this procedure and have switched from pain pumps to Exparel which is a long acting injectable pain medicine like Lidocaine or Marcaine but lasts for three days. This is injected all along the muscle and skin to provide pain relief. This is termed the Pain-less, Drainless Tummy Tuck. If you go to a doctor who uses #drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. 

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It also may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

Now, depending on what your surgeon has been able to help with to this point, healing may be progressing slowly and things will get better. However, if you find yourself concerned or worried at all it would be a good idea to have another follow-up appointment to have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck!

Procedure Sep 13. Infection. Low hemogoblin and red blood cell. Low strength, tired. Pan is inflamed like before surgery

Thank you for your question. It may be residual swelling as you still have drain. Please give some time for it to settle. Please follow instructions from your PS.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear your recovery has been so difficult.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery, exacerbated by your infection and should resolve spontaneously given enough time.  Once your infection has cleared you may want to discuss with your surgeon the option of using a compression garment to help limit this appearance.  Best wishes.

Postop problems

Sorry to hear about your postoperative difficulty.  It is difficult to ascertain exactly what is going on without an in person consultation.  It is certainly always advisable to follow up with your operative plastic surgeon who performed your procedure closely. You are still very early in the healing process. There still may be significant swelling in the area.  Major surgery can cause fatigue for several weeks but you need to follow-up with your plastic surgeon regarding your hemoglobin levels as this needs to be monitored closely and may require treatment.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon