Is 20 to young to get Botox injections to prevent wrinkles?

I have a small wrinkle on my forehead and some days I Really notice it. I want to get rid of that and prevent future wrinkles. Should I start now or wait until I have bigger ones when I'm older?

Botox at a younger age

Although you are on the younger side when it comes to our typical botox patients, there are no concerns regarding doing botox at your age. In fact, if you seek a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon they will be able to determine whether botox is truly necessary. If you have visible lines that you could be an excellent candidate for such a procedure. The advantage of starting at an earlier age is the ability to prevent formation of more severe lines which significantly improves your overall response to treatment. 

Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Too Young For Botox?

Your age shouldn't be a concern. If this is something that bothers you, it may be helpful to discuss subtle options with a skilled injector, and then decide if that's the right option for you.

All the best.

It’s fine to start Botox at 20 to prevent wrinkles.

It’s fine to start Botox at 20 to prevent wrinkles. When it comes to Botox, earlier is better, as it will prevent wrinkles from forming and becoming deeper. Once wrinkles are too deep at rest, Botox may not be as effective in treating them. In a young person with elastic skin, Botox is a great way to prevent wrinkles. 

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

BOTOX Is Effective for Prevention

Most doctors involved in aesthetic medicine will tell you that patient age is typically much less important than overall condition. Although the concept is still relatively new, BOTOX and Dysport are quickly proving to be great options for preventing wrinkles in younger people. There's no reason to wait until your wrinkles become more prominent, and there's certainly no harm in trying BOTOX once — you can discontinue treatments any time you like with no adverse effects. For the best results, use care when choosing your injector. Choose a qualified physician, such as a facial plastic surgeon, a dermatologist, or a trained nurse working in a medical esthetic setting.

Theresa M. Jarmuz, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX Is a Great Preventive Treatment

There's been a lot of talk lately about younger people undergoing BOTOX treatments in order to stave off future aging. In my own practice, I see a good amount of patients under 40 who come in for occasional preventive BOTOX treatments. As with any other aesthetic treatment, the patient's overall health is far more important than his or her age. Although I can't make any certain recommendations without an in-person consultation, I certainly wouldn't hesitate pursuing this option if I were you. Be sure to do your research and choose a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatment. Good luck!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Not Necessarily Too Young

Hi jtaylor95, and thanks for your question. I've seen an increasing number of patients in their 20s who are curious about using BOTOX to prevent wrinkles. Whether someone is 20, 30, 40, or older, the decision to begin using anti-aging treatments such as BOTOX is a personal one. There is no medical reason not to get BOTOX injections at 20. Because BOTOX works by limiting the movements of small facial muscles that cause what are called "dynamic wrinkles," it is also effectively delays their formation, as well. So, yes, BOTOX can treat the wrinkle you already see and also postpone the onset of other wrinkles, if not prevent them.

Mark E. Freeman, MD
Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

Is 20 too young to get Botox injections to prevent wrinkles?

There is no specific recommended age where one should have Botox treatment, as each patient has his or her own individual needs. If you are experiencing small wrinkles, it would not hurt to give the Botox a try. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. Each is a fantastic choice. After an evaluation, he or she can determine whether you can benefit from the treatment. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Is 20 to young to get Botox

Thank you for your question. No it is not too young to receive botox to treat and prevent wrinkles. However, you should consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss treatment. 

Thank you for your question. Typically no matter what age the patient is, an injector will look at the face and assess if the treatment is indicated. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for prevention

Hi and thank you for your question! Even at 20 years old, if you are already beginning to notice some fine lines and wrinkles, it's completely acceptable to use Botox as a treatment plan. Botox is not a permanent treatment but because  you still have a good amount of elastity, given your age, you may not need follow up as often as an older patient. It's best to consult with your surgeon regarding your ideal treatment plan. Good luck!