Is liposuction a possibility for me? I've gained nearly 50 pounds due to severe chronic pain that makes exercise impossible.

I am 5'2" tall and 167 lbs. Before the accident, I weighed between 120-125lbs. I have always been large breasted, but now I'm wearing a 42 DDD bra, and size 12 pants. I Want to get rid of the fat in my upper and lower abdominal areas, my back, thighs & upper legs. At some point, I need a breast reduction as well. An upcoming lumbar injection may give me enough relief to try and reshape my body. Can you help me?

I hope that the lumbar injection does provide relief and that you can reshape your body.  Liposuction may be appropriate in certain circumstances.

Liposuction for weight gain

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry you have chronic pain from an accident.
  • Liposuction will redistribute your fat - it will not permanently remove it or lead to weight loss.
  • This is because after liposuction, without weight loss, you eat back the fat and it goes to new areas.
  • A breast reduction will help you be more mobile - consider this first.
  • If you get relief from the lumbar injection, please focus on exercise and what you eat.
  • Swimming is often a very good exercise after an accident because it is low-impact.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction with a high percent body fat

I thin all doctors agree that you must take care of your pain issue first. Once that is under control, you can have liposuction and not be in an ideal percent body fat. It make take more than one procedure. A great deal depends on your age, skin elasticity and general health. An example of this is provided in the web reference for you. 

Good luck taking care of your medical condition first! 

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Is liposuction a possibility for me?

I'm sorry about the trauma you sustained and the resulting chronic pain.  Although tempting,  plastic surgical procedures are not ideally done at this time.  I would suggest that you continue your efforts with diagnosis and treatment of the pain; hopefully, you will be able to resume exercise at some point.

Having said that, sometimes patients present under less than ideal circumstances and plastic surgical procedures can be helpful. For example, there are patients who benefit from breast reduction surgery, even though they are not after long-term stable weight. Undergoing the breast reduction procedure does help to "jumpstart" a more intense exercise program.

If/when the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience (and ethics) achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  

Best wishes for improved pain control and a return to a healthy lifestyle.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I am sorry to hear of the difficult circumstances under which you find yourself unable to exercise while gaining weight. Unfortunately liposuction is not an alternative and would not be appropriate treatment since fat removed from one area would probably return to other areas that are untreated as your weight returns. Your only option is to monitor your diet carefully and exercise within the limits that you can achieve.  Good luck to you,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD