How much would an operation with my current condition cost? Is it better to have surgery now or lose weight first? (Photo)

To be honest, I don't really know if this is purely gynecomastia or it might be also affected by my weight. I've currently had "man boobs" since 6th grade, and I'm 18 as of today. I plan on seeing a specialist to see what options I have to choose from. Also, is it better to have an operation done now or lose weight and do it then? Thanks, I really do appreciate it. Height: 5' 7" Weight: 221 lbs.

Gynecomastia cost and timing

Your situation is very common. It is hard to exercise when you don't see results and also might feel self conscious. Your gynecomastia is more severe and I suspect that you might need a nipple graft procedure for the best results. But you never know how your skin might react if you lose weight. For that reason I would recommend losing the weight first. From your description it sounds like your goal might be to lose 30-40 pounds. Your breasts will either tighten up a bit on their own, or get significantly more saggy. Just be prepared for the worse.

Gyencomastia Costs

The cost off male breast reduction varies across the country and even in the same area. Prices in South Florida are less than more expensive cities such as Toronto, New York, or Los Angeles. We charge starting at $3000 + MD Anesthesia related expenses for male breast reduction.

Insurance is unlikely to cover the costs of the surgery, but you should contact your insurance company for the specifics of your plan.

To ensure the lowest possible costs and the highest possible quality, consult with board certified plastic surgeon who owns his own nationally accredited surgery center.

Patients are generally better off able to be closer to their long term stable weight for the best possible results.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia

Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for surgery.  Losing weight would be an advantage, but surgery will still be needed.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight then surgery

Your best bet is to really work on your weight and get it down to ideal.  At that point the gynecomastia surgery will be smaller.  I think with weight down you would benefit from a liposuction and gland excision combination. I think your skin and nipple areolar area will shrink and be fine.  Lose your weight.  Good luck.  My Best,  Dr C

Estimated Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery & Minimizing Risks

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the average #cost of #gynecomastia surgery can vary widely. #Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

Three options exist for surgery. Smaller procedures can actually be done in the office with light oral sedation. Adolescents frequently do better with a light general #anaesthetic.Twilight or IV sedation are another great choice. All procedures are outpatient either in the office or a certified outpatients surgery facility.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Man Boob Correction Cost

If you can first loose and then maintain a lower weight this is probably the best option. 
  • Gynecomastia reduction cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

• 1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA and Canada.

• 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures such as lipo also be also performed during the same surgery?
#ManBoobFix

Male breast reduction is ideally done after you lost your weight

Male breast reduction is ideally done after you lost your weight.  I recommend waiting until you reached your goal weight.  That being said, some people set goals that they never reach and that may mean that you are waiting to get your surgery for years.  In such a case skip the wait and get it done.
As for the cost, fees vary.  You look like you need a female-style breast reduction that will remove the excess skin and leave you with significant scars.  Alternatively you may choose a less aggressive approach with less scarring but it will leave you with some sagging skin.
Our fee (including all charges) would be $8500 however fees may be very different in your area.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Male breast reduction

The price of your male breast reduction depends on several factors, including the following:

surgeon fees
surgical facility
anesthetist fees
technique applied (liposuction or excision)

Generally speaking, insurance does not cover the cost of your procedure because it is usually for aesthetic rather than therapeutic benefit. However, you should ask your insurance provider as they may be different.

In Toronto, Ontario, the cost of the procedure ranges from $4000-$6000. Financing options are available.

To improve the results of your treatment, you should be at an ideal stable weight at the time of your surgery. It is also safer for you.

Try to lose weight before surgery

If you are at or near your goal weight prior to surgery you will have a better outcome and you will feel better about yourself overall. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia develops in about 1/3 of all adolescent males.  In 2/3 of those it resolves once entering adulthood.  Just from the pictures you most likely have both fat and breast tissue.  If the surgery was performed now you would still have significant excess skin that would result in additional incisions to be made.  Ideally you only want incisions along the lower areolar borders. 

I would recommend losing the weight first.  At 5'7" a better weight would be in the 160's.  Good luck.