Ethnic Rhinoplasty make my nose look wider? (Photo)

Ok so I want to know if rhinoplasty for me is worth it and wont make my current issue worse. I have pretty thick nasal skin and want a more defined straight nose. Is this possible? When they reduce my hump to make a straighter will the excess skin from my nasal skin make my nose look wider. I currently have a slim nose from the front which I intend to keep. Is it possible to make my nose more defined and straight without making it wider or bulbous. Thank you in advance

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards

Will Ethnic Rhinoplasty make my nose look wider? - NO!

Hello Sivajustinwook - Thanks for your question.  Ethnic rhinoplasty makes up 70% of my rhinoplasty practice.  A properly performed rhinoplasty, even in thick skinned patients, will result in a narrower nose in the vast majority of cases if planned out properly.  A picture of your nose from the front would help the surgeons here guide you better.  In your case, it is evident that you have both excess bone and cartilage.  With thick skin there is less room for error when performing hump reduction surgery because in extreme cases, the skin doesn't always shrink wrap onto the new framework well.  You will most definitely need nasal bone repositioning surgery to keep the narrow dorsal lines that you are used to.I have operated on several men whose noses resembled yours and they all turned out well with good skin redraping.  I think that consultation with an Ethnic Rhinoplasty specialist in your area would help you better gauge the likelihood that you could achieve the surgical result you are looking for. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump  to improve the nasal side profile and give a straight nose. Thick skin in the tip of the nose will prevent refinement in that area. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful to understand what can and cannot be accomplished with your nose, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. For more information  and many examples, please see the video and the link below 

Dorsal hump reduction with thick nasal skin

You need to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation to analyze your nose and take a thorough medical history to establish candidacy for a rhinoplasty operation. In general, patients with thick skin, a dorsal hump, and narrow nasal appearance on frontal view need to maintain a certain degree of dorsal projection in order to maintain a relatively refined appearance on frontal view. Although lateral osteotomies ("breaking the nose") can narrow the nasal bones, the overlying thick skin only contracts to a certain degree and often leads to a widened and unrefined appearance if an overzealous hump reduction was performed. A conservative hump reduction, however, should be possible while maintaining an adequately refined appearance on frontal view. Please note that the photos provided are limited due to lighting and lack of frontal view and true profile views. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Changes

A front view is necessary to better answer your question. Nonetheless, in general,  while thick skin reduces the degree of refinement achievable, typically maneuvers/techniques are used to keep the components of the nose in visual balance. If ONLY a hump reduction were done, the nose would for certain appear wider. that is why it is so common to then also narrow/reposition the nasal bones so that a more aesthetic relationship remains.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD