Swelling, lumps, indention and pain 1 year, 5 months, 26 days since I had my tummy tuck. (photos)

surgeon states that this is a result of "scar tissue" and that he will remove it for free, we have to pay anesthesia and hospital costs, which have apparently tripled in our area since he quoted us for surgery 4 months ago. We are concerned that the upper abdomen is swollen and painful and only gets worse if I do ANYTHING.. my surgery was to fix a lower flabby belly after 2 c-sections and repair the abdominal muscles...my upper abs were never a issue but are now.

Problems after Tummy Tuck

It looks like you had an area of delayed healing that has distorted your scar. That along with the other issues that you describe will definitely require a surgical revision to correct. At that surgery, your surgeon will be able to assess for a fluid collection in the upper abdomen and/or retighten your muscles along with revision of the scar.

Good luck

Post-Op Swelling and Lumps

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It also may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, while you may still have some time before the complete healing process ends, you are still able to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Any concerns or fears you may have about your healing process should be discussed with your surgeon to make that everything is going as it should. Good luck!

Swelling, lumps, indention and pain 1 year, 5 months, 26 days since I had my tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question and series of photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  It appears that you have remaining excess skin and adipose tissue and perhaps muscle laxity and visceral fat contributing to the rounded appearance of your stomach.  It would be important to ensure that other issues are not taking place, however, such as a discrete fluid collection.  Hope this helps.